Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 02:10:14 PM

Author Topic: Spindle speed control - serial port  (Read 11720 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Spindle speed control - serial port
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 09:30:38 AM »
Need the xml you are using as it may be different from the one they provide as standard.
Hood

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,197 9,197
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 12:25:17 PM »
I just read the instructions.
Texas don’t actually tell you how to set up Mach they just let you download an xml but then say that it will not be configured for your own machine so you should make a note of your original settings (ports and pins, motor tuning etc) then re-enter all your data into the new xml.
Would be much easier if they just described the setting up details but as they say in their instructions this would be too difficult for them to do and take too much time.
They also say they have a small program that will combine two xml’s and make life much easier but this is not yet available.
Very strange organisation this Texas Microcircuits.  ???

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 12:28:45 PM »
You have got it in one....Nice board though if I can get the damm thing working. I downloaded their XML - nothing. I then altered mine - nothing :(

The instructions do leave you a bit clueless - I managed to wire up the mains ok.....

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 01:05:31 PM »
Just some basic when dealing with COMport communications(very dependable by theway)

1 the Computer MUST be setup fro the comport to talk the same protocol as the device OR vise versa. You have to set the Baud rate, parity and Stop bits the SAME on both devices.

I see where the device is POORLY defined for setup in the manual. They could have just GAVE you a list of settings to change in the config side(;-( rather than an UNKNOWN xml.

So you set up windows correctly for the COmport

Then install plugin for MACH3
Then ACTIVATE the plugin for MACH3(then restart)
THEN config the plugin for MACH3.

Make SURE all the comport settings match.

NOW you must config the rest of the items of the control in the MACH3 config.

Get all that fixed and I would guess it will run ok.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 01:25:04 PM »
I am not sure I tried restarting after activating the plugin - I will give that a go

I think I got the baud rate right - that is in the general properties of Mach3 right?

Windows says that my com port is working I will have another look see

I am glad its not just me with that manual!

I have sent an e-mail asking the vendor for help - if he gets back to me I will post the answer so others can find it
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 04:16:09 PM »
Hi this is the XML I am trying to use - I have made no changes that I know of since downloading

I have checked the Baud rate in Device Manager on Com1 all settings the same as the manual recommends

Restarted

checked the fuse

Nothing changed - no LEDs on board....

Getting a bit ???

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 06:07:46 PM »
Thats the xml from the site so it should be correct but maybe yours is different?
Probably just have to hope they get back to you.
Hood
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 02:53:03 AM »
Thanks Hood. Its a bit hard to work out which settings in that XML are necessary to make the board work and which ones are optional. Worse still that XML is for a mill and I want to use it on a lathe.....Never mind patience patience

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,197 9,197
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 03:08:47 AM »
You may be better following the Texas instructions.

1) Write down all your settings (that currently work) in 'Ports and Pins' and 'Motor Tuning'.
2) Load the new xml supplied by Texas
3) Change all the settings in Ports and Pins and Motor Tuning to those you wrote down.
4) Then see if it works.
5) If it doesn't work then post your (now modified) xml for Hood to look at.

Hope this helps.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 05:17:20 AM »
I have made progress....sort of! I downloaded a serial monitor program that lets me see the data sent and received. Mach3 is happily sending data to the serial port just as it should so the plugin and xml are off the suspect list. Unfortunately that leaves the board! ......Or the port settings?? The Baud rate is ok.

Still no response from the vendor.