Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:36:45 AM

Author Topic: Need Extra Inputs  (Read 10275 times)

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
Re: Need Extra Inputs
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 08:47:54 AM »
Many thanks again Hood
I was just planing to wire straight of the port as you described, 5v is not an issue as the machine has a separate 5v supply.
Any ideas on how you set-up a jog speed controller?
Cheers
Katoh
Cheers
Katoh

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 09:10:38 AM »
Reaso n I used the USB for the power was that it would be referenced to the smame 0v as the PP is.
Jog speed controller? You meaning FRO buttons or?
Hood

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 06:29:41 PM »
Hood
Sorry the late response, I see what you mean about taken the power from the USB. How would do that?
what I mean by Jog speed controller, is a button or switch so I control jog speed on my push buttons on the panel.
FRO buttons not really sure what they are? Like on your pendants there is a switch for jog speed X1 X10 X100 basically want the same sort of thing.
Cheers
Katoh
Cheers
Katoh

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 07:00:32 PM »
I use rotary switches for that and its easy enough to do, just need an input for each change you want and then have a brain do what you want.

FRO is feed override, before I had analogue inuts on the lathe I had three buttons set up and used a brain to work them. If I held the up button the feed override would increase without having to keep pressing, same with the down, the third was to reset to 100.
Hood

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 02:13:58 AM »
Hood
I use rotary switches for that and its easy enough to do, just need an input for each change you want and then have a brain do what you want
That sounds absolutely perfect to me! My panel has 4 push buttons  for Z+ Z- X+ X- and one switch which I can change to multiple position, I take it these are all inputs?
Hood I think you have me on the right track now.
Just to summarise I use a second Parallel Port for the extra inputs, I use my 4 buttons as separate inputs and then tbe switch being set whatever amount to control jog, say 4 place switch 4 different jog settings. I hope I'm not confusing the issue.
Now do you need that 5v to every input to make this all work?
Thanks
Katoh
Cheers
Katoh

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 04:31:33 AM »
Yes they will all be inputs, if you have a second port you can assign pins 2-9 as inputs giving you 12 extra and you still have 1, 14, 16 and 17 available as outputs.

On my Beaver Mill and lathe I have 4 positions on the rotary switch, one for Velocity mode, one for 0.01mm step one for 0.1mm step and the last for 1mm. I have since found however I never use anything other than Velocity and 0.01mm steps so on the Bridgeport I just made the two positions available. I do all my jogging Via MPG and never use the keyboard jog buttons so have never put external jog buttons on my panel, I just find MPG so much better as you wind fast it moves fast, wind slow it moves slow, change to multistep mode and each click will move the increment selected.

You would take 5v to the common of the rotary switch.

Hood

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 09:08:57 AM »
Hood
Again sorry for the late reply, You have been a great help. Ill set the the panel up and put the extra port in the computer, I hope you don't mind but Ill have to ask assistance once again for working out the brain when I get it up and running. not to far of now.
Cheers again
Katoh
Cheers
Katoh

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 09:46:19 AM »
No probs, brain is easy enough.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 08:31:13 AM »
re the private message, I will answer here as I can attach an image.
You may wish to have only two positions of incremental jog on your rotary switch and save one for continuous or you may wish to have 4 positions.
However here is what the brain would look like if you wanted just the 3 positions as increments, 0.01mm, 0.1mm and 1mm

Hood

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 08:36:27 AM »
Thanks Hood
Easy enough to understand, for all purposes where do I put this? Sorry if I sound vague just not sure were it goes in Mach.
Katoh
Cheers
Katoh