Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:55:22 AM

Author Topic: importing coordinate list  (Read 16110 times)

importing coordinate list
« on: September 20, 2011, 08:49:14 AM »
How can I get a x y coordinate file into lazy cam or mach?  I need to switch
from a comma delimited text file to a plot so I can do some tool compensation
of the tool path.  I am using a linear encoder to digitize a surface so I have
a list of coordinates generated by Mach.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: importing coordinate list
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 03:03:10 PM »
You can load the list into Mach if you modify the data.

Do a search and replace in a text editor, search the comma and replace with a Y then do a CR,LF search and replace with CR,LF,X (you may need to do a Special/Advanced search for this), this will give you g-code.

Add a G01 F100. on the first line and a M30 after the last line and you should get a profile in Mach.

Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 03:43:02 PM »
Thanks!  I have a nice program running but I need to do tool compensation to allow for a 3 inch grinding wheel.  I have a G code file working well which is generated through CB but the tool path is not correct because the wheel is hitting the profile I am trying to shape.  If I could get the shape out to a cad/cam and add a compensated path the problem would be solved.  I had hoped lazy cam or if needed I could convert from CSV file format to dxf or dwg through a conversion program and then send it to BobCad but that seems like so many extra steps that should not be needed.

Keith

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 04:18:33 PM »
Could You explain  what you are trying to do?. Some of the Normal CNC grinding fiunctions do not work well EASILY with Mach.

I have a CNC Cam Grinding Modual running and it took a LOT of work AND HELP from LES at Scam to make it grind the profile correctly. BOTH require tool comp for the wheel.

Still working on the Crank Grinder Modual to go with  Cam Grinder Modual.  One would have thought that both worked about the same (;-) NOT even close.

(;-) TP

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 04:20:55 PM »
Can you post a copy of the File you want to use?

(;-) TP

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 04:58:52 PM »
Post the gcode file and i will convert it to dxf for your use.
RICH
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 05:13:04 PM »
Thanks guys, I am trying to grind an ice skate blade.  I have the edge digitized with x and y coordinates from
a linear encoder.  I can create a nice g code and follow the blade with the wheel but I need tool compensation.
The problem is easy to fix if I could enter the points manually to BobCad, my Cad/Cam software but I need to
do this many times and I hope one day to market this machine so I need a permanent and convenient method
for future users.  Perhaps I will need to do the calculations in CB like the old machinists from days of yore..

The program is probably in the range of 1600 lines so posting it would not be too cool.  However, I could
email.

Keith

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 06:23:01 PM »
OK still can't get it in my head what you are actually doing. Is the balde laying flat to the table and you are grinding the curvature of the Blade or is it vertial and you are grinding the angle. Is your wheel infeeding from the Z? X y UW????

So many questions, We don't do much ice skating in Florida(;-)

Pictures would help, you know where to find the email address(;-)

(;-) TP
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 09:03:07 PM »
I have x,y and z axes set up like a milling machine.  The grinding wheel is mounted
in a chuck as one would mount an endmill or face mill with the 3 inch grinding wheel
oriented horizontally.   The blade is mounted on its side and the wheel moves in
X along the length of the blade and the curvature or "rocker" of the blade is
followed by moves in Y.  Moves in Z align the wheel with the blade but do not
change as the blade is sharpened.  Imagine a traditional milling machine with a
3 inch grinding wheel mounted on a mandrel placed into the spindle with the wheel
horizontal.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 09:05:26 PM by thespindoctor »

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 09:31:05 PM »
NOW I gotcha(;-) I have spent too much time cam grinding I was stuck in that mode,

Tool comp should not be a problem in that mode just use the MACh3 tool comp G42/43 G40 cancel. Set the grinder wheel UP in the tool table and YES you can Change the values ON THE FLY, just in case you ask about probing the wheel diameter.

Take your points and IMPORT them into the cad program then clean them up as ARCS and lines  as best you can.  Most Cads have an import Macro to do just that. You might be able to set up a WIZARD to do what you need and have it write the code for you.

(;-) TP