Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 03:06:08 AM

Author Topic: Homing Macro?  (Read 16228 times)

Offline alenz

•  137 137
    • View Profile
Re: Homing Macro?
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2011, 11:24:22 PM »
Not picking on ya but I bet MOST don't ever refhome the machine. I would say 50% don't even know what it means to refhome(;-)
 (;-) TP
TP, I bet your estimate is conservative. I for one am in the 50% category. On my little tabletop mill the home/limit is when the table hits a 10-32 screw and stalls the stepper (even tho I don’t use it for that, I would think it is fairly repeatable).
Al
PS Now and again I need to be reminded that Mach is also used on REAL machines that might use 100 lb rotary tables etc. <big grin>
al

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2011, 10:45:33 AM »
Ya, exactly. I too think it is impressive. Hence why I wanted to do it. Not for any real reason than to start to understand how to manipulate the code or screens. After a little thought, I do see it wiser to raise the Z first. I have a tendency to crash anyway. It is amazing just how slow a machine (if you can call a Sherline based mill, a machine?) can crash and still not be able to react. :-)
When I hit my reference home button, that's what impresses the onlookers; to see it move all at once and find each of the homes at the same time. Their expression is priceless. Great way to get there attention before the chips fly.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2011, 10:52:17 AM »
BR, I am in no way a machinist and have very little if any "guided" experience besides the tips from here, reading and youtube. It took me a while to figure out how to recover if a mistake was made. I got tired of trashing all of the work. Now I start the machine up, ref all home, load the gcode,  then 0 out on the part, then hit play. Sure makes it easy to recover if I break a tool or see something negative about to happen. I can now just ref all home, go back to 0 and then start the gcode somewhere near the line of error. I am sure you were fully aware of the process, I spit it out there because there is surely more to learn in those regards. If you see another step or precaution, let me know. I only want to get better.
Not picking on ya but I bet MOST don't ever refhome the machine. I would say 50% don't even know what it means to refhome(;-)

Fire up the machine, Load Gcode program , load material ,set Work 0,0,0 and go(;-)

NOw that is just an opinion based on years of working with Mach3 and PEOPLE,

(;-) TP

I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2011, 11:29:25 AM »
HIYA Fastest, You are doing it by the book. Certainly NOTHING wrong wiith that(;-).  But as with all things there are MANY ways to do the same job. As you gain more experiance you too will learn the OTHER ways.

Just a note(;-): Your little machine moves exactly the same way the big boys do. SO YES you are a CNC machinist. Never discount the fact that you are working in the small end of the world. Some of the HARDEST machine work to do IS the micro machining world(;-)

Good Job Keep slinging chips, (;-) TP
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 11:33:18 AM by BR549 »
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2012, 11:16:45 AM »
Hi folks,

I'm trying to set ref combination but it's not working. Any code there I try gives me the same result: only one axis move and nothing happens after. I've tried the ref combination comands listed on this thread, but no joy.
I've read something about that might be an issue with the SS board related to the ref combination. Could anyone confirm if this?