Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 04:41:48 PM

Author Topic: Make multiple holes on a part  (Read 4383 times)

Make multiple holes on a part
« on: September 05, 2011, 06:02:00 AM »
I'm using LazyCam and NFS wizard for my milling operation. I love them  :D
Now, I'd like to make multiple holes on a part with end-mill.
For example, I need 4x 2.5mm holes (for M3 threading) and 6x 4.3mm holes (for M4 bolt).
These may be 2 to 3mm deep to make threads or bolt holes by a drilling machine afterward.
There is a wizard to make multiple holes by drilling ("Multiple hole position" on NFS),  however, I'd like to bore them in actual diameter to guide appropriate drills stably at later drilling.
I know I can do it if the"Cut circle" wizard is used repeatedly, also it can be by offset operation in LazyCam.
Is there any way to designate all holes at a time (at least, same holes at a time) ?  Please let me have your idea.
Thanks.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Make multiple holes on a part
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 07:59:24 AM »
bonohsato,
How to drill holes is covered in the LC Manual see Tutorial #1 , pages 41 - 47.
I would recommend that you draw the holes on a single layer in CAD as that makes selection easy or even create multiple layers showing holes based on
operation to be done. Just as easy to also use "Sel in Box" and/ or  individualy select each hole in the graphics display.
No need to draw the holes to scale since your going to drill them based on a defiined drill tool.

You can also manipluate the Gcode keeping the pathing to the holes, then you can simply go line by line for location but then manualy drill all of them and go back and then tap them.

Whatever works for you,

RICH
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 09:17:22 AM »
Thank you Rich,
I'd like to bore holes in actual diameter.  I have not necessary sizes of drill for the milling machine (original design).
However these are pilot or guide, actual diameter prevents to use wrong drill at later drilling job.

I did try to use "Sel in Box" making offsets for multiple holes of same diameter, but it is not completed properly.
Offset of some holes within the selection are generated, but one or two of them are not.

Finally I will use "Circle" wizard for the time being.
It works rather quickly defining X and Y for same size holes once the diameter and corresponding parameters are set.

Bon
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 06:23:21 PM »
Correction ...

I did try again carefully to make offsets of multiple holes with "Sel in Box", and the result was acceptable !

There were 26 holes of 3 different diameters. One hole had no cut data (just a circle  :o) even though "Set All Layers" was done.
However, it was easy to check on display and could correct quickly.

Thanks.
Bon