Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:58:14 AM

Author Topic: Getting started with 3D scanning  (Read 9624 times)

Getting started with 3D scanning
« on: August 26, 2011, 03:48:07 AM »
I'm trying to get started with 3D scanning using my CNC router for the scanning movement.  I've purchased a webcam (Microsoft Lifecam Cinema) and a line laser (Apinex 03016AL).  In looking through the posts, I saw a drawing by Tom Hubin of a bracket that he used to hold the camera and laser, so I started to design a similar bracket for my hardware.  But there is something that is confusing me.  If the camera and laser are mounted on the same bracket, then the laser line will always be in exactly the same place in the camera's field of view.  Even if the CNC machine scans the setup back and forth,  the laser line never moves in the camera picture.  I would have thought that the camera would be fixed while the laser line moved.  That way the camera would see the laser line moving across the entire object being scanned.  But Tom has them mounted together.  From what I can tell, Art's setup does the same thing.

I don't understand.  I'm clearly missing something.  Can someone explain to me how it all works with the camera and laser moving together?

Thanks,
Mark

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Re: Getting started with 3D scanning
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 09:39:24 AM »
Would it have to with triangulation? Maybe the camera has to a specific distance from the work surface before the scan is made. If the laser was independent, wouldnt you have to account for many angles at once? Moving angles at that. Btw this is just a guess and not an educated one!
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 03:31:44 AM »
Experiment is good. But I don’t know about the laser movement so I can’t help you. But I want to know is that; how your Microsoft Life-cam Cinema works. Actually I also want to buy this. But don’t know about its reviews; so please help me.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
Mark, your right.  They are mounted to the same bracket.  If you were scanning a flat object the laser line would allways be straight.  By measuring the curve or offset of the line you can determine the height or depth.  I really hope to get to spend some time on this one day.

Hope this helps,
Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 03:55:23 AM »
Could anyone here please point me to any links, wiki, doc's, on how to setup and get running for video probing.

I have been looking for the last few days but seem to going around in circles.

Does the camera and laser need to be a set angle or distance from the work pice.

I am a right newbe at this.

Thanks for your time.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 07:36:37 PM »
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!