Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:03:14 PM

Author Topic: Axis position feedback  (Read 4734 times)

Axis position feedback
« on: December 12, 2006, 04:26:33 PM »
Hi All

I just joined the site; I am living in the UK and am awaiting delivery of the following system
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=260062146347&rd=1&rd=1
I am hopping to fit it to a ‘Taylor Hobson engraving machine but would like to ask the following general question.
Generally speaking how does the Mach software handle axis position feedback; I have done various searched on the forum but to no avail.

Any help very much appreciated.

Brian

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Axis position feedback
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 05:01:16 PM »
Hey Brian,
    I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. You can install encoders and set up some DROs on your screen if that is what you are asking. Mach doesn't support closed loop just yet. You can use the actual position (encoders) and the Mach position DROs and have it throw a diveation error.

Hope this helps,

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 08:08:54 PM »
Hi, Brian

Your system above is Stepper motor there is no feedback.

You can setup Home switches and reff. to a start Position to calibrate when needed.

Hope this Helps, Chip
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 03:07:14 AM »
Thanks for the quick replies guys.

I read the section on home position switches to give the initial starting position but was really asking more about positional feedback during operation. One way is via the use of a closed loop system (not supported) but I have also seen systems particular to stepper motors where a pulse or pulses are generated per revolution of the motor, a sort of poor mans encoder but I assume this is not supported either.
Thanks again for the answers and I can’t wait to get cracking on this project.

Thanks Brian

Hood

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 03:59:32 AM »
Ron Rogers does a breakout that will error out if an encoder and the pulses Mach sends out dont match up. Not really closed loop but as near as you will get at the moment.
Hood

EDIT
 forgot to link to his site, www.rogersmachine.net
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 04:40:57 AM »
Ron Rogers does a breakout that will error out if an encoder and the pulses Mach sends out dont match up. Not really closed loop but as near as you will get at the moment.
Hood

EDIT
 forgot to link to his site, www.rogersmachine.net

Thanks for the link Hood; this looks promising and as you say could be a good compromise.

Brian