Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 12:48:20 AM

Author Topic: Lazy cam setup  (Read 8981 times)

Lazy cam setup
« on: August 01, 2011, 05:14:49 PM »
I am programing lazy cam for the first time with a multiple part puzzle. When I ran a simulation it cut a couple parts on the inside that should have been outside, and all four of the pockets on the wrong side.  Do I have to set each chain using the lead in/out menu??  I did use the layer lead in settings and left it on automatic. What did or didn't I do right...??  The lead ins were also on the wrong side on some of the chains.  There is only one layer so I clicked on send to all layers anyway....

And shouldn't the lead in ramp down, mine just went down 1/4 inch then moved 1 inch and started cutting...
I see figure 8.4.2 on page 28 of your manual, shows the Lead in/out menu, is this where I select inside or outside??

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy cam setup
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 05:50:02 PM »
A good read of the manual and taking  the time to look at the Tutorials will go a long way in using LC .
At a high level, you need to select the profile you want to machine, define the tool that will be used making sure it is appropriate for the task to be done, define the
depths, apply lead-ins ( see Tutorial #7) as it covers the subject of leads in's and how to mainpulate them. Page 28 just gives a quick description of the items listed on the flyout.

RICH
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 03:40:34 PM »
I've reread the basics and tutorials, and .....
Here is what I am trying to do, the project is 25 parts cut out of plywood, two of the parts have inside cutouts.
I selected the inside chains and set the offset for inside, when I checked the outside chains they also changed to inside, so it looks like no matter what chain is selected the offset setting is global.

I tried setting up a new layer and sending the setting to the layer. ( it crashed three times because I didn't label  the layers or tried moving something that didn't work)  But if I understand LC correctly it will cut all the chains in a layer before it goes to the next layer so that will not work. So I gave up on setting up two layers.

I suspect that there is a simple solution to cutting a bunch of parts from a single sheet of material with inside and outside cuts. 

Any suggestions on where to find directions...

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 06:30:39 AM »
You could create  layers  in CAD for the inside offsets and another layer for the outside offsets.  Un-enable the outside offsets in the Layer Tab, then machine the ones requiring an inside offset. Do the same / similar for the ones requiring an outside offset. That's one way of doing it since your working with say inside and outside Layers and the created chains for each are in the layer .

If everything is on one layer then you need to select what you don't want to cut by un-enabling them and you'll be left with what is enabled and offset as you wish. Just another way of doing it.

How the drawing is created can determine how LC creates the layers and associated contained chains in  the layers.
See page 10 & 11 in the manual.
Easier to set things up based on machining tasks in CAD sometimes. doing that is easier than moving chains and layers in LC.

RICH
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 09:58:50 AM »
Thanks, that was what I expected to be able to do,  I think that I will just remove the four little holes cut all the parts then scroll saw the holes by hand,  after all it is just a puzzle made from 1/4 or 1/2 plywood. 
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 11:25:32 PM »
hi. i'm korean LC, mach3 user.

i think i have similar problem.

i made lazy cam design. two layer exist. inside and outside.

when i load mach3. mach3 doen't draw indide cut.(for example ABC , A's inside, B's inside)

how can i solve this problem.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 06:53:13 AM »
ipc150,
The manual dosen't cover FOAM. I don't have any experience on how a  foam cutting machine truely works so never spent the time testing that module and don't plan on doing so. Frankly the only foam cutting ever done here was with a hot wire to cut RC model wings out of foam manualy. So don't know what quirks there may be in the module.   That said I would need to see if LC modifies , or is restrictive on using the dxf importer when addressing Foam profiles.

Sorry can't help on this one,
RICH