Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:22:02 AM

Author Topic: Mach3 & bobcadcam  (Read 6698 times)

Mach3 & bobcadcam
« on: July 30, 2011, 07:31:14 PM »
I have Mach3, why would would I need bobcad/cam?

Offline Sage

•  365 365
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 & bobcadcam
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 07:35:13 PM »
CAD to create a drawing of what you want to make.
CAM to generate the g-code.
Mach to run the g-code to move the machine.

Sage
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 07:41:48 PM »
I watched the bobcadcam vids and it was talking about it controlling the machine (post processors). I downloaded the free trial any way...figured why not Lol
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 11:29:53 PM »
OMG...this makes me feel like I just came out of the womb and got B **ch slapped by the doctor Lol. I guess this isn't for newbies.

I downloaded the v24 demo earlier today and have been trying all day to make a drawing of a CPU waterblock Ive had on my mind for some time. Have to say I feel like I've been kicked in the .

I can draw it out on paper very easy but getting it in bobcad/cam and sinking fast. Starting to have second and third thoughts about this.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 07:53:21 AM »
BobCAD is probably the least intuitive package out there. Search the forums at CNC Zone (and elsewhere) and you'll find a LOT of unhappy customers. My advice would be to look elsewhere.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 10:44:40 AM »
I would agree with Gerry, I have used quite a few CAD/CAM packages and BobCAD I got nowhere with and help when I asked was non existent. Got pestered for a long time with phone calls to buy it and I am in the UK so it was International calls. At the time there was no manual for the Lathe programme, no videos etc, there may be now? On one of the phone calls I said I couldnt get it to work and they said to fire off a drawing to them and they would send me a step by step, I did get a reply with a screenshot of my drawing in the CAM but no explanation of how it was achieved so I decided to look elsewhere.

What kind of machine will you have (Lathe, Router, Mill, Plasma etc) ? What kind of work do you intend to do (2D, 2.5D, 3D)?
Hood

Hood
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 11:43:59 AM »
BobCAD I got nowhere with and help when I asked was non existent.
neither have i...and i'm just trying to learn/undersdand it

What kind of machine will you have (Lathe, Router, Mill, Plasma etc) ?
I am new to milling / CNC...I will be using a littlemachineshop benchtop (mini mill) 3900. there version of sx2

What kind of work do you intend to do (2D, 2.5D, 3D)?
making parts to convert the mill to cnc and custom PC coolers and modifications, 2D-3D
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 12:37:42 PM »
bobcad/cam seem to only want to help you learn their software if you pay them, ie...buy the registered full version (with out even knowing if I'll use/like it), pay for lessons at $150.00 (minimum) an hour (again with out even knowing if I'll use/like it) , pay $400.00 dollars for 12 months of support (again with out even knowing if I'll use/like it). You cant even join their bobcad/cam forums unless you buy the the registered full version. How do they expect to get new customers if they don't want to help new customers learn/understand their software? Don't they know that people use the demo first to try/test it AND get a feel for the company behind it. I'm not going to pay for something that I don't even know if I can use it or if I'll even like it. At this point, I don't think I will be using it even as a demo to try and learn it out due to their lack of care, concern, support for first time users because they seem to put their need for money before their desire for gaining a new customer.

I gave them a try because of mach3 recommendations and bobcad/cam video testimonials. Speaking of the video testimonials...I can find desert nomads that were sold sand and happy about it.

I'm not trying to badmouth, disparage or soil bobcad/cam reputation or its users or discourage any one considering using them.

I hope this doesn't get me banned from forum. I like mach3 because of it's intuitiveness and customization to each person and am greatful to the mach3 community members.
Richard

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 12:50:46 PM »
Dont think it will get you banned from here , the BobCAD forum possibly ;D

If you are talking full 3D work then you are talking money, Vectric do some reasonably priced stuff but think its more carving orientated. 2.5D may however be suitable for you and there are quite a few reasonably priced ones out there.
 I use Dolphin for my lathe and axtually quite like it, the CAD side is a bit clunky but the CAM side is nice and with a bit of effort the post processor can be modified to even take account of my non standard duall turret setup. Altering a post processor is usually not needed for a standard type machine though as usually there will already be a standard Mach post processor included in the software.
There is also SheetCAM which is reasonable and can do 2.5D work
Hood

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 01:00:08 PM »
How do they expect to get new customers if they don't want to help new customers learn/understand their software?

Usually through constant badgering, until you give in. :)
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html