Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:34:13 PM

Author Topic: trying to find information in the archives for an ah-ha conversion  (Read 4978 times)

with no luck.  I hope i am not being too redundent, your help is appreciated...
My ah-ha dell 486 proprietary power supply running artisan just blew out, looks like it would require quite some expense to replace.  It had the floppy disc limitations that I have been able to work around splitting processes, but I thought i could expedite everything by running  mach 3 into my controller and utilizing the windows XP systems in either my laptop or desktop in the studio.
Do you think this is a good idea?  does anyone sell the interface cable (I am not confident in my electronic capabilities and I feel i cannot risk my equipment, but maybe with some help and encouragement...)?

as a sidenote, I took an old first gen pentium and removed all the cards  and cdroms, exchanged the hard drive and with the one in the dell, and added the ah-ha card.  artisan booted up fine, all three axis' moved as directed, but hitting the 'e' execute command locked up the system and started an infernal buzz on the computer.  I did nothing to the bios due to my realized ineptitude and knowledge.

I ran a full ah-ha conversion on a bridgeport servo 3 axis boss mill, no auto tool change or coolant (though coolant would be nice), for basically relief carving on metal and wood.

help would be greatly appreciated, i have heard excellent things about mach 3, and the vitality of this newsgroup speaks well of it...gabriel

by the way, some of the functions including post new messages cannot be found using a Mozilla browser...
Re: trying to find information in the archives for an ah-ha conversion
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 10:21:01 AM »
Please post this on the Yahoo forum and see if there is any one out there that can get you the pin out for the cable. If you ca get the pinout I can get you in contact with an engineer that makes cables for me.

thanks
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline John S

•  111 111
  • Nottingham England
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 03:33:25 PM »
Just swapping the hard drive to a new computer won't work.
You need to install the Ahha software on the computer as it interogates the computer and sets the tuning automatically depending on the performance of the computer.
Make a coy of the old files first though.

Sounds like your trouble is the timing from the old computer and the new is clashing.

If you do move to Mach3 then the pin out for the cable is in the files section on the Yahoo Mach2/3 list.

John S.
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 05:56:20 PM »
Do you need a new computer with an AHHA card in it (I have one) :)
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 11:36:56 PM »
thanks both John and Brian.
I have the pinout information from the archive files, I would appreciate a good cable maker out there to cnstruct me one.
Does anybody have any idea of how far a cable can run for this?  optimum would be about 20 feet...

I may try to reinstall the aha for the time bieng, it seems a most logical analysis John, thanks gabriel