Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:38:37 AM

Author Topic: Version .025 is online  (Read 3400 times)

Offline chad

•  361 361
  • When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    • View Profile
Version .025 is online
« on: December 11, 2006, 03:56:24 AM »
Hi All:

Version .025 is online. It has a fix for a nasty A axis overspeed bug. It also asks a new user who has an active Estop if he'd liek the input switches fix so he can do a reset. Th efix button changes the low active on any signals stopping a reset, then warns to check all switches for proper function. This can, of course, be turned off on the spot with an "Dont ask" box.

2.00.025 is very close to having had all bugs fixed, couple minor ones remain to be fixed. Next development series (unnamed as yet is about to begin, it uses a new driver, so you will be able to run 2.00 with the next series as well shoudl you wish to. The next series will be very R&D'ish with many experiments underway such as S curve acceleration to reduce jerk in low accel systems. Many things in testing and teardown will go on in the next development series. I suspect the next series will be the final one. (Though Ive said that before. ).

My appologies to John Prentice for all the changes I have stuck in 2.0 as time went on, but thats over with, nothing more will be added to 2.0, only current problems will be fixed. Any further features wil go into the next series of the program. So Mach3's interface will no longer change, no more buttons will be added, or screen changes. It is now considered to be locked and static, only bug repairs will be done.

The next series is as yet, unnamed, "Mach-Quantum" has been suggested..I kinda like it, but kick in if you feel you have a better name. This next series will indeed be a quantum leap from Mach3, and many things will change over time. With the higher speeds that are possibel from external devices, many changes are required, new trajectory planning, Flash interfaces, kinematics.. its a whole new world..

Have no concerns about 2.00, it will be maintained quickly and bug searched frequently, it is very popular, and is seemingly quite stable in 99% of its functions. The few final bugs were very tough to crack, but we think we have almost all of them. As in any program, Im sure quirks exist, and when found will be killed, but Im worried about trying to shoehorn anythign more into it, it has grown too large as it is. (12Megs at final lock).

Those *.xb* file can be deleted if you like from your main folder, all backup xml's are now saved int he xmlbackups folder to keep things neat. Many stability fixes have been added, as well as internal montitors activated to seek out problems as they develop to help me find trouble. This last 2 months has turned me to hair and eyeballs in a very hard effort to debug and lock all this down. My deep gratitude to those who have aided me with small test files, numerous tests, and various reports. Without them it woudl have taken much longer.
While some of you have applogised profusely while supplying me with such bugs, you have helped us all greatly and I am very thankfull to you all. I know my responces have been a bit short or frustrated to some of you, take it only as a sign of being tired on my part. Its been a hellish two months, runnign an avergage of 13 hours a day of codeing and code searching. Ill be taking a long break soon to get my nerve up for some of the very complex stuff facing us. The next version, "Mach-Quantum" or whatever its called will cross the boundry from the hobbiest,small shop controller, to some of the complexities available only in very very expensive packages, I suspect it will be a monumental challenge in many respects, but its a place I feel we need to go.. Mach3 needs a nice long period of stabilising anyway, without us adding and tweaking as much as we have been. So by Christmas, its time to see just how far we can reach into the bag of tricks for the future..

Thanks, Have a great Holiday season..
Art
www.artofcnc.ca
Re: Version .025 is online
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 08:46:00 AM »
As you can tell it is going to be a big year next year :) This years sales (so far) are 3050 new License files! We hope to do that again with the added enhancements..
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com