Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:01:46 AM

Author Topic: Cooling control panel & monitor venting.  (Read 5326 times)

Offline Jackal

•  169 169
    • View Profile
Cooling control panel & monitor venting.
« on: June 08, 2011, 10:25:40 PM »
Now I am starting on the control panel. Getting the  switches & stuff together.  I don't want to get it running with wires all strung out and then  something mess up when I put it all inside.

Probably will go with a 17" or 19" flat monitor, and put a piece of Lexan over the front to protect it.

Then have a keyboard shelf & mouse pad.

Plus a hanger for my job pendant.

My concern is the inside of the box containing the monitor. I'll put a fan or 2 in it, with filters.

Do some of you have any pics of your control panels?

There are some on Bob Warfields CNC cookbook that are nice.

Right now simple is good, with room to add-on later.

Let's see some pics and the cooling fans for the monitor.

Thanks,

JAckal
Everything is bio-degradable if you run over it enough with a lawnmower.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Cooling control panel & monitor venting.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 04:33:35 AM »
I dont use anything over the face of my screens, two reasons, one is I use touch screens so cant but second is they dont seem to need it, one of my screens is 7yrs old and has had no ill effects from being constantly prodded.

I dont use cooling fans either, I do however live in a colder climate where a hot summer gets to mid 20Deg C and summer lasts 2 days if lucky ;D

Some pics of my lathe (with the new insert button panel below) and Beaver mill panels and the 3D of the one I will be doing for my Bridgeport. Beaver one will be getting a new face panel shortly, just have to get it done but I now have some black coated Alu for it.
Hood

Offline Jackal

•  169 169
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 09:30:34 AM »
Thanks Hood,

Those look like what I am wanting.

The temperature here  is the summer averages about 95 to 110 deg. ( 35 to 43 Celsius), for about 3 months sometimes) ::) :(

The last few summers, I had a record heat of 128 degrees (53 Celsius) in my shop. That was from 2 pm to 6 pm, for about  5 weeks in July-August.

When it's that hot, I quit at 1 pm and go back out at 7 pm.

Guys let's see some more pics!!!!!

Thanks,
JAckal

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 11:34:29 AM »
Ah well sounds like a fan or two may be needed, maybe even some aircon ;D
 I certainly wouldnt survive at these temps, it kills me when it gets over 20 deg C

Hood

Offline Jackal

•  169 169
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 10:21:29 PM »
Hood,

It got to 97deg today ( 36 Celsius).

Not too bad, since the humidity is down. When we have high humidity, 95 deg. can feel like 110 deg. :'(

JAckal

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 03:30:44 AM »
That would kill me ;D Yesterday was getting hot for me, it was a balmy 16 Deg ;D

Hood
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 12:42:57 PM »
Hi Jackal,

Most industrial machines have a control cabinet cooler, based on AC, peltier or heat pipe technology.
All have in common that the outside air does not enter the electrical enclosure so keeping in dust free.

Here is a link that has some useful info - never used them myself, and I don't know the cost.

http://www.eicsolutions.com/thermoelectric-air-conditioners.php

35°C is a killer and 53ºC !!! my melting point is >25ºC ..... 22ºC is just nice.  :)

ATB
Derek
You can "chop it off" but can't "chop it on"

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 06:29:31 AM »
For a guideline you may may want to consider that the electronics in the cabinet define the max working temperature that should be allowed.
Cooling in BTU's should be about 20% of the total watts, assuming that the devices are only 80% efficient, and then add the BTU's required
to bring air temp down to some level. Need to also condsider condensation as that is bad.

FWIW,
RICH

Offline Jackal

•  169 169
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 10:03:48 AM »
My concern was  running it during the day, and after shutting it off,  the moisture setting in ( condensation).

In my area we have electrical outages about 2 or 3 times a day. It is only for 10 seconds to sometimes 10 minutes. So I wouldn't trust leaving just the cooling unit on.

Probably I will run a large filtered fan on the cabinet, and a couple of filtered ones on the monitor panel.

Amazon.com has those Peltier chips fairly cheap. I could take a couple of them and use heat sinks with them in a squirrel cage fan, and have a small portable air conditioner for me. ;D

JAckal
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 10:05:39 AM by Jackal »

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 11:12:59 AM »
A vent on the bottom and on the top goes a LONG way to aid in cooling. Heat rises bringing in cooler air.

(;-) TP