Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:47:59 AM

Author Topic: Program hanging  (Read 18479 times)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Program hanging
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2011, 05:34:49 PM »
Sorry but those are not windows based controllers(;-) It has a motion card that does all the HARD work. Windows is just the front end GUI. With MACH3 widows is having to do ALL the work to run the GUI AND output all the pulses as well . BIG difference (LPT version)

EVEN with modern Windows GUI controllers they use a specific set of hardware and SOFTWARE that are KNOWN to work and rarely deviate from those specs. Most modern controller will have SEVERAL cpu's running in sync just to keep up with everthing.

Been there done that one, (;-) TP
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2011, 12:40:24 PM »
Sorry but those are not windows based controllers(;-) It has a motion card that does all the HARD work.

That's what I was getting at.  We can do the same thing by using an external motion controller.  They have just spent lots of time and money in R&D finding the combination that works best for them.  Considering the fact that the parallel port is pretty much history and Mach isn't really keeping up with current PC technology, the best path for Mach might be to just develop a standard USB communication protocol.  Keep the PP support in it's current state, but focus on the future, which probably won't include a parallel port.  External motion controllers are not that expensive.  To spend another $100+- for a reliable machine is not a big deal.

Personally, I'd rather have a TCP/IP connection to an external controller.  I don't think USB is reliable enough in a noisy environment.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2011, 12:51:52 PM »
USB no, PCI yes ,ethernet yes.  The motion cards you see today that work "well" are NOT $100 (;-)

AND the LPT port is still doing fine.

AND Art developed the MESA card series driver as well

Galil, Kflop,dspmc,etc        Can work well "IF" the development continues.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2011, 01:10:57 PM »
I may try a KFLOP.  Price isn't bad, but its still USB based.  The TCP/IP controllers, like Galil are pricey.  I think if Mach did away with PP support to where an external motion controller was needed, we'd see more lower priced options out there.  Right now, the PP does a pretty good job for a next to nothing cost so for most people, there is no real need for anything better.  If every Mach user HAD to buy a motion controller board, we'd see more competition in that market.  I'm really surprised Gecko hasn't come out with anything viable, although I know they are working on something.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2011, 01:33:18 PM »
I think there is an ethernet version of the Kflop and TOM is a joy to work with.

IF mach pushed for a motioncard  only package. then EMC would be the dominate low cost controller. The ole LPT is almost impossible to beat for a low cost controller. IT can do almost anything CNC related within the boudaries of the hardware.

I don't think Gecko will be back in the motion card arena any time soon. They have been there already.   Remember the Grex

(;-) TP

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2011, 01:39:53 PM »
OOPS the Kflop seems to be USB only at this time.
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2011, 02:12:25 PM »
Remember the Grex

I do...If memory serves, they are working on something PLC related.  The tech was explaining but it went way over my head.  Sounded cool though. :)

I agree on the LPT, but a native TPC/IP and USB interface would be nice.  That way manufacturers could develop products based on those protocols and no plug-in would be needed.  Seems like anytime I ever tried anything that required a plug-in, it just didn't work 100%...Including the SmoothStepper.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2011, 02:35:09 PM »
A plugin IS needed to interface MACH to the motion device protocol . SOMETHING has to interput machs control data into a native langue for the controller.

UNLESS you created a special MACH to use a specific motion device.  That is the way the big boys do it. $$$$$ for developement though. AND depends on ALL the hardware staying the same.

(;-) TP
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2011, 03:30:20 PM »
But if Mach offered native USB or TCP/IP and published the specs, then the motion control manufacturer could design a compatible card.  As it is now, the motion control manufacturer writes a plugin to make their card work with Mach.  Should be the other way around.  Mach should offer native support and the manufacturers can make compatible products.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2011, 05:36:02 PM »
If I remember correctly Gecko are working on a standalone controller that will not need a computer as such, it will work from a programmed flash card. It will be aimed at processes that repeat the same task over and over.

Regards the plugin, I think that is  basically the way it works at the moment, Mach has a set  of commands it will output and need back and the hardware supplier will write the plugin to interface these commands to his device.
Hood