Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:31:39 PM

Author Topic: Mach3, Probe, and Digitize Wizard Issue  (Read 50450 times)

Mach3, Probe, and Digitize Wizard Issue
« on: May 31, 2011, 09:33:50 PM »
I am new to this forum and to CNC.

I am running Mach3 on a clean Windows7 PC.

I have successfully run a GC file to create an engraved logo.

I have installed a digitizing probe, loaded the Probe plugin, and am running in the Probe profile.

I see an LED light on the probe light up when the probe is moved.

I have tested the probe with an ohmmeter and get a break in resistance when the probe is moved.

The probe leads are connected to Parallel Pins 1 (ground) and 10 thru a Gecko G540 (port pins, not the Gecko connections: confirmed with the manufacturer).

I have reversed and re-installed the leads, same results. Testing at the Gecko connections gives the same resistance results.

This leads me to believe the probe and its connections are performing per design.

However, when I select the Digitizing Wizard, set parameters, create and load G-Code, then select 'run cycle' I get this DRO error message 'Probe Ignore, activated at call for probe'.  ???

The CNC head does not move, nor will it respond to the shuttle (that's expected in Probe Profile, I think).

On the Diagnostics screen, the Digitize option is lit and does not flicker or change in response to probe movement, tho I do see the LED on the probe light up when the probe is moved.

Does anyone have any further suggestions as to how to test and/or resolve this issue?  :-\

I have tried to give a complete description of my issue, but if I missed something please ask.

Thank you for your time and attention,

Vicrider

vicrider

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3, Probe, and Digitize Wizard Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 10:01:04 PM »
Check on the diagnnostics page and see if the Probe led lights up when you trip the probe.

Did you turn ON the probe in config and set pins and port?

Just a thought, (;-) TP
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 10:11:17 PM »
the Probe LED in diagnostics is lit, but if I understand correctly, it should go off and on, or flicker when the probe is moved. This does not happen.

The probe is checked green in Config with pin 1 as ground and pin 10 as input.

Vicrider
vicrider

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 11:08:06 PM »
I would double check your wiring as on a LPT port pin 1 is NOT a ground it is an input. Pins 18-25 are commons(grounds)

Looking at teh G540 docs show the probe can be hooked up to terminal 1 (Input)  and terminal 12 (grd) on the G540. That translates to port1 pin 10 for setting up the probe in mach.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 11:21:53 PM by BR549 »
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 11:21:44 PM »
Thanks, BR,

I may have mis-spoke regarding the pin assignment in Config. I will check again in the morning, as my brain is leakin out my ears tonite and the shop is locked up.

I appreciate your help,

Vicrider

vicrider

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 11:22:52 PM »
Looking at the G540 docs show the probe can be hooked up to terminal 1 (Input)  and terminal 12 (grd) on the G540. That translates to port1 pin 10 for setting up the probe in mach.

(;-) TP
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 01:06:50 AM »
I recently got my tool setter to work and had similar issues. I needed to use a 10k pull up resistor and add +5v from a USB wire that was sacrificed for the cause. The setter ground was attached to USB ground. See attached thread for diagrams ect. http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,18390.0.html.

Hope this helps.
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 12:49:33 PM »
I recently got my tool setter to work and had similar issues. I needed to use a 10k pull up resistor and add +5v from a USB wire that was sacrificed for the cause. The setter ground was attached to USB ground. See attached thread for diagrams ect. http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,18390.0.html.

Hope this helps.

This morning, I double checked my connections and port settings. They are as listed by BR549's post.

I cut the probe's LED out altogether as suggested by the manufacturer. When I measure voltage across the Gecko connectors (pin 12 {grd} to pin 1 {probe} I can see the voltage change from 0 (zero) with probe at normal position, to 11.4 when the probe is moved. Still no result in Mach Diagnostics, Digitizer LED remains steady. Again, the probe appears to be working correctly.

Question, should the voltage be that high?

I have no idea where I would install a 10k resistor as shown in Craig1's post, or if it would be the proper solution.

Any other instructions/suggestions?

Thanks,

Vicrider
vicrider

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 03:56:34 PM »
As a test unhook the probe from the G540. Next short across pin 1 and 12 momentarily. Does the LED in mach diagnostics change state??

(;-) TP
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 06:10:53 PM »
no, with the probe disconnected, there is no change in the LED for digitize when I short pin 1 to pin 12.

V.
vicrider