Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:25:11 PM

Author Topic: Programmers Reference Manual for Mach3 Version 4?  (Read 8190 times)

Programmers Reference Manual for Mach3 Version 4?
« on: May 31, 2011, 11:15:03 AM »
Can someone help me find documentation for the changes to macro programing that are coming with version 4?

The "Mach3 V3.x Macro Programmers Reference" listed on the main documentation page says that "Mach3 version 4 will provide a completely new... interface for CB macro programming." (from Page 1)

I've been away from Mach3 for a couple years, but had many, many hours of experience using/programming Mach2 and Mach3 with a previous machine.  I'm working on 2 new machines now and need to create new macros.  I've tried digging through the documentation, the Wiki, and this forum, but I can't seem to find info on the "new" v4 programming changes.  Some of the info out there seems to say that v4 was called "Quantum" and was scrapped and v3 continues to be upgraded, so I don't even know if there is a v4 coming or if v4 is already here. (I know the current download is R3.043.22 but as I recall, the jump from Mach2 to Mach3 didn't involve drastic changes to the documentation or user interface.  My Mach2 user manual still covers most of the current Mach3 screens.)

Glad to be back using Mach...  This community is full of inspiring work and creativity.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Programmers Reference Manual for Mach3 Version 4?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 11:26:43 AM »
Version 4 is not yet complete so no one knows what it will entail.   Chances are that Version 4 will be a totally different program . Documentation usually runs years behind.

The programmers reference is the current Bible for macro programming in MACH3 and SOME of that only applies to the latest versions.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 11:29:15 AM by BR549 »
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 11:54:28 AM »
Hi,
My advise is to just ignore the speculation in the intro section of that manual about V4.
When it was written (2 years ago), the author had been told about several things being considered. Those things have not come to pass as of today and that makes the V4 speculative text confusing in today's context.

IMHO, a reference manual should say "what is" and the version of mach that it corresponds to, and it should not speculate as to what "may or may not be in the future".

As I've done the last few updates to that manual, I've sent a revised version that does not guess at the future to Brian for his consideration.

As of today there is not a released mach V4. If/when there is such a thing, I would hope the manuals would be updated to match. Until then, mach V3 is what exists and the latest programmer ref manual is pretty good for documenting the V3 calls.

Dave
Author of the MachStdMill Extensions for Mach3
www.CalypsoVentures.com

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 12:56:06 PM »
HIYA DAVE, How are you(;-) I see the Screenset is going well ,anynew cool things I should know about.  Do you have a perimeter probing tool out yet?

(;-) TP
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 02:27:58 PM »
Hi Terry,

I don't have perimeter probing in MSM at the moment. I'm working on some things, but I've learned not to talk about those before their time  ;)

Dave

Author of the MachStdMill Extensions for Mach3
www.CalypsoVentures.com

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 02:35:09 PM »
There is always EMAIL .

(;-) TP
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 02:54:34 AM »
I presume V4 was alluding to Mach 4?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 04:24:01 AM »
I presume V4 was alluding to Mach 4?

Mach3 Version 4 was not the Mach4 that we know today.

Amongst other things, Version 4 incorporated the Tempest Planner with it's 'S' curve Acceleration / Deceleration and this enabled quite a considerable reduction in the job time for 3D machining but, for one reason or another, Version 4 was never fully completed. It was finally decided that a total re-write was in order - Mach3 was dead and Mach4 was born.

Just for posterity, I still have and use a development version of Quantum Mill with it's 'S' curve.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 11:11:27 PM »
Thanks