Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:23:40 AM

Author Topic: Motor stall killing me!  (Read 19526 times)

Motor stall killing me!
« on: May 16, 2011, 06:48:58 AM »
My set up: HD X2 mill with 20 tpi axis screws, Y axis 269oz Xylotex belt driven 28 tooth gear on both motor and axis screw, My Mach 3 motor tuning settings are 32000 steps per, velocity 7, 1.5 accel. I am getting a small amount of motor stall. Does anyone know if this setting is what others are running?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Motor stall killing me!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 07:57:15 AM »
Try sherline mode and see if that helps. Usually motors dont stall a small amount, so to me sounds more likely your pulse width is not enough for your drives, setting Sherline will make it a wide pulse which some drives require.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 10:07:54 AM »
Where do I find this setting?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 10:10:18 AM »
Config menu then Ports and Pins and it is to the right on that page.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 10:02:55 PM »
Hood,
I tried what you suggested, no difference. Does the setting that I described seem odd? If I increase the velocity to 10 and the accell to 3 I get quite a bit of stall about a 1/4" in 2" of movement. Is it the belt drive setup? Why dont I get it on my X axis which is direct drive?
Thanks
Joe

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 02:48:00 AM »
Your velocity and accel sound very slow even at the increased rate but all will depend on the individual machine and its hardware.
Check the axis in question is not binding.
Might also be an idea to swap drives around to see if the problem follows the drive, likewise the motor if possible.
Also check all wiring is secure.
Hood

Offline kf2qd

•  148 148
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 12:03:18 PM »
I rthink there is a problem here with terminology.

Motor Stall normally means that the stepper motor is either overloaded, or that the step rate is too fast and the motor is not able to generate enough touque. This does not preduce predictable results. It sounds more like you have something slipping. Motors either stall or they don't stall. at low speeds and accelerations your stepper motors should produce the most torque and be very reliable. If you are having problems getting reliable moves you should look at all the mechanical connections first. Are you sure the motor is turning? if so - is the leadscrew turning at teh same rate? Get a marking pen and put some marks on shafts and connectors and make sure they are not slipping relative to each other. Make sure that the belts are properly tightened. is this only happening on 1 axis?
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 10:03:27 PM »
Yes only the Y axis it is belt driven (see my setup) the X axis is fine but it is direct drive. Your right about the terminology may it is not motor stall. I'm going to post a video of the problem on you tube I'll let you know when it's available. Thanks for all your help guy's.
Joe
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 05:06:22 PM »
Guy's,
Here is a short video of what my motor is doing. Is this motor stall??? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kQWmijRlmk My velocity is set at 7 and accel is 1.5
Please let me know what you think.
Thanks
Joe

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 05:21:12 PM »
I am presuming that is a constant feed when the axis is going bad? If it is then I would say its a bad pulse stream, either from the computer or the BOB or bad drive.
Have you tried swapping drives around?
Hood