Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 09:23:13 AM

Author Topic: Tool plate/setter wiring.  (Read 13525 times)

Tool plate/setter wiring.
« on: May 08, 2011, 02:35:02 AM »
I am planing on using the simple PCB board style setter. How do you physically wire the input? I have a Sherline controler which has tamper seals. Do i have to wire through box or can it be wired anothe way?

If you know of another post that i should i would appriciate it.

Thanks you.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Tool plate/setter wiring.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 03:44:13 AM »
It needs to go into Mach via your parallel port so really you need to go into your box to connect. You could break into the parallel port cable and wire direct but that would not really be recommended unless you knew what you were doing. Best bet would be to email Sherline and ask how you could get round the issue without voiding the warranty as I assume that is what your dilemma is?
Hood

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 06:46:16 AM »
or you could make yourself a breakout box between the controller and the PC. A couple of IDCs and a short piece of ribbon should do the trick.

Ian
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 06:30:37 PM »
That is the concern i have. Thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 09:18:26 PM »
I think i have found a solution. I did contact Sherline. They said as long as my mod didn't cause the problem i was fine. I did find photos of the the box insides. It did not look like an easy hook up. Rather tight for open spots to solder to. After a long exhaustive internet search i found this. Mainly so long because i didn't know what it was called. Its a printer jumper box. I'm going to buy male female ended. Wiring for normal use and splice in here for tool setter ect. Hope my soldering skills are up to the challenge. Sells for about 10 bucks through amazon. Hope this helps those worried about their warranties.

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 07:06:58 AM »
Goodness - who'd have thought of that - brilliant  ;D
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 09:05:44 AM »
I work for Ford Motor Company and deal with warranties daily. It's best not to void them when when you can!!! I'll update on progress as i go.
Thanks

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 11:22:28 AM »
I'm off for a lay down in a darkened room for a while...
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 10:34:31 PM »
I went to the local radio shack and found not exactly what i was looking for but close enough. Its ugly but it work. I think i'll unsolder one side and go back and put on heat shrink. I'll also put it in a project box. Then but the well made jumper box as aposed to my home made junk box  ;D.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 01:59:23 AM »
Craig,

I know those DB25s are difficult to solder but definitely go back and put sleeving over those solder joints before you do anything else.

(It could take just one whisker from any of those wires to short to an adjacent terminal and if luck was not on your side disaster could strike).

Tweakie.
PEACE