Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:10:53 PM

Author Topic: 4th Axis Rotary Table!!!  (Read 10529 times)

4th Axis Rotary Table!!!
« on: May 04, 2011, 09:32:27 PM »
I am getting ready to start putting together a rotary table for my wood router.  I do some fourth axis machining at work and would like to add that capability to my router at home.  I was planning on purchasing a phase II rotary table and retrofitting it with a stepper motor.  My question is:  Have any of you done this and how difficult is it to get set up and going in Mach 3 and is my choice selection the correct one or is there a better option?  My current configuration has two stepper motors slaved together on the Y axis(rack and pinion) and one for the x and z axis.  Any advice and input would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: 4th Axis Rotary Table!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 03:45:08 AM »
You will have no problem setting up Mach3 with your rotary axis. I have my homebuilt rotary set as 'steps per degree' and everything works just fine.  :)

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 04:28:01 AM »
You will need to be sure that backlash can be corrected with this rotary table.

Is there any adjustment for it for this particular model.

Jeff

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 08:52:06 AM »
Most folks wind up going with a Sherline rotary table, if the size of it will work for the application. They make a nice smaller one that is ready to mount a NEMA23 stepper motor to. The backlash is negligible and they are very well made in the USA. Most of the manual rotary tables will require a lot of work to get the backlash down to an acceptable level. I keep the Sherline units in stock and I know lots of other places do to so you can get a hold of one easily.

Which ever route you go keep in mind that you configure Mach in steps/degree for a rotary axis. This means your acceleration and velocity are going to look different as well.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 10:59:20 AM »
The sherlines backlash is adjustable if ever needed also.
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 03:11:16 PM »
Jeff,

What kind of cost am I looking at for the Sherline?  I have about decided to build my own but would be glad to weigh the cost out.  I am toolmaker by trade and have a whole shop at my disposal, but time is money!!!

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 04:48:07 PM »
The Sherline 3700-CNC, CNC ready rotary table, runs $320: http://www.soigeneris.com/Sherline_3700_CNC_Ready_Rotary_Table-details.aspx, with the 72:1 gear reduction it has a 166 oz-in stepper is usually more than you need. If you have a lower voltage driver though the 276 oz-in might be a better option: http://www.soigeneris.com/Stepper_Motors-details.aspx. Add in a stepper cable and your at about $400.

You will need to make a base plate for the rotary table to fit your router. I can send you the drawing of the base plate I make for the Taig mill if you want so you can modify it to fit your router table.

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
Jeff,

Thanks for the info.  You have got me studying on it really hard!!!  Does the kit come with a right angle plate to mount it or can I not see from the orientation of the picture?

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 10:07:44 AM »
I reworded the page to make things more clear and reworked the kit options to include the Sherline 3701 right angle plate. That made more sense to be able to get your choice of kit depending on machine/mount type. The difference in kits now is the type of mounting plate and both are a little less than buying the parts seperatly.

The Taig kit comes with the rotary table, Sherline tailstock, a 3/8" mounting plate that I manufacture, stepper motor, and stepper motor cable. Since the plate is pretty thick I have not found that the right angle bracket is needed.

The Sherline kit uses the Sherline 3701 right angle mounting bracket instead of the mounting plate I make (so it is a bit more expensive).

Anyhow, I hope that helps. If the Sherline table will do the job for you then I think you will be very pleased.

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 08:52:49 AM »
We have tested the Phase II tables and they are NOT a good choice. They are not designed for the speed or torque of a motor drive input. They failed 100% of the time.