Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 07:34:39 PM

Author Topic: Latest version of Mach3  (Read 5878 times)

Latest version of Mach3
« on: May 04, 2011, 12:08:49 AM »
Just downloaded newest lockdown version of Mach and noticed on the diagnostics screen that the pulse frequency was not very stable. It jumped from 1 to 387 and anywhere in between. I understand that this should be reading what your kernel speed is set at (which is set at 25,000 kHz). Should this be something to be concerned about or something I should not be worried about? The reason for the update to Mach was because my machine was acting very peculiar. The Z axis would plunge into the part on my 4th axis and my 4th axis would rotate when not commanded to. Another time (cutting a spur gear) the y axis would loose position and then cut much too deep on the next cycle. This only a hobby for me and I cannot afford to keep replacing damaged cutters and material if this can all be avoided.

Thanks,
     John

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,197 9,197
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Latest version of Mach3
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 03:31:34 AM »
Hi John,

This sounds like you have a problem with your setup rather than the version of Mach3 that you are using.
It is a tedious job but you need to check everything.
Have you changed anything recently such as rewiring or using extension cables etc etc. ?

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 05:38:07 PM »
The problems I have been having are so intermittent that I would have to be half Irish to find them.  ;D
But I have checked all my connections, all my wires are properly grounded and shielded, voltages are what they are supposed to be and I have not made any drastic changes to my system (other than adding my fourth axis). I do have a feeling that my problem may lie in the computer or BOB region as the last hiccup I had was (I believe) outputting too many pulses (perhaps in the form of noise). That is why I asked if the pulse frequency in the diagnostics page was supposed to be displaying the kernel speed (25 kHz). I do remember in one of the Mach tutorials that Art displayed his pulse frequency in his system and it did not waiver meaning his system was very stable. I need to find out how to make my system just as stable.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 05:51:52 PM »
The pulse frequency should be very close to and not vary much from the kernel you have set. Kind of sounds like a driver issue, might be worth deleting the driver and installing again by running the driver test.
What is the Time in Int showing on the Diags page?
Hood
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 08:46:20 PM »
Varies from approx. 10.8 to 8.2.
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 09:29:50 PM »
Just for kicks, I downloaded a very early version of Mach (Version R2.63) from the FTP server and guess what... the pulse frequency shows up at 25379 and the time in int. varies from 7.2 to 4.8.