Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:00:55 AM

Author Topic: Mill orientation  (Read 9300 times)

Re: Mill orientation
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 08:47:26 AM »
Thanks Hood. I will dig into that today!
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 07:15:28 PM »
I had my Y and Z axis's reversed. one i got that fixed now things work fine. the pattern is just upside down on my mill from whats show on the screen. but the Z-axis moves correctly now. which i didnt know was wrong until i tried to run one of these test programs. and now the gcode pattern is show in the table view correctly etc.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 02:15:19 AM »
If the pattern is upside down then you have the Y axis the wrong way.
Hood
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 07:16:12 AM »
Hmmmmm. if i reverse the Y, then the pattern is shown off the table in the view window...

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 07:20:34 AM »
Ok so in your vid I am presuming the Y is the axis that is Top/Bottom of the smily face.
If so then I am thinking you are hming to the top left corner of the table, if thats correct then that would mean X fully negative but Y fully positive. What to do in that case is like I said earlier, set a Home Off value in the Y axis (Homing and Limits) which is equal to the amount the Y is away from zero when you home. That way your Y DRO will read the value you set and Mach will consider that the Machine zero is negative from there by that value.
Hood
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 07:26:34 AM »
Yes you are correct in your assumptions of my axis orientations. thansk for looking at the vids.

That's right i remember you saying that about the home off value. i did play with that a little bit yesterday. but i wasn't sure what i was doing (im not real sure what i am doing most days LOL). Ok i will play with that some more and get that figured out.

THANK YOU for your help!

Dave

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 07:33:00 AM »
First thing to do is get the Y moving in the correct direction, ie when the tool is close to you and you jog positive your tool should move away and the DRO in Mach should show the Y axis increasing in value
Once thats set then you will need to set the Homing as positive (i presume its negative now) and then enter a Home off value eaual to the table travel.
Hood
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 08:55:50 PM »
Hmmm This is still now working correctly. I reversed the motor connections to the Y-axis. now when the tool moves away from the from of the machine...away from me, the DRO increases. Ok so that's correct now. which way should the X-axis move then? if it moves right should it increase?

I entered a value in the home off value Y box. as you said equal to the table size.

If i press ref all home, the Z- zeros at the top, the Y-moves back and zeros at the back, the X moves left and zeros there.

If i then press regen tool path. it shows the design off the table, in fact in front of the table on the left.

I played with it in all sorts of ways, but no matter what i do I cannot get the X part of the curser in the tool path window to ever go to the top left of the table view. it always is at the bottom left of the table and then moves off screen when the tool moves towards me...So I have something really goofed up.

I wonder if part of the problem is that my home/limit switches are at the back and to the left. there are no switches in front or to the right.

I am half inclined to just put it back the way it was and deal with it working upside down.
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 10:39:08 PM »
Maybe I should move the Y-axis home switch to the front of the table...

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 02:25:33 AM »
X should increase in value as you move from Left to Right, Y should increase in value as you move from you to away and Z should be Sero when fully up and move negative when going down.
Can you attach your xml as it may make the issue easier to find.
Hood