Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:03:48 AM

Author Topic: My SJ200 & Mach3 setup  (Read 7540 times)

My SJ200 & Mach3 setup
« on: April 27, 2011, 08:09:12 PM »
Switched to a Hitachi SJ200 after my original Teco drive failed on me.
There were many frustrating hours spent trying to get this working but I finally figured it out. 
Below are the Modbus setup screen & the Brain I'm using to accomplish Forward / Reverse / RPM's in Mach.

Since all it takes is to write to 1 coil for reverse motion that was easy (the second coil defaults to 0 which changes direction to forward)
The hardest part for me was figuring out how to write to two coils at the same time to get forward motion. 
Finally dawned on me I could use the same 'Spindle CW on' LED twice to do this .. mapping it once to coil '0' & once to coil '1' .
Once I made that single change in my brain .. it worked perfectly.
RPM's also have to be written to register '0' to work .. because again that's actually the first register.

Hope this helps someone else who's struggling like I did to understand this stuff.
Re: My SJ200 & Mach3 setup
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 08:29:46 PM »
Couple more screen shots of the brain in action ..
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 10:31:47 PM »
Hi, nice job, could you explain where those nomber came from.

I don't know very well how to use formulas in brains.

Jeff
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 10:59:27 PM »
I wasn't sure what to do with formulas either to be honest .. so I initially divided by a much higher number to avoid over revving the motor ..
I started with A/20 .. then from the MDI typed in M3 S1000 and used an infrared Tachometer to check the actual rpm of the motor ..
I kept changing the formula until the motor was spinning at the proper RPM for what was set with the MDI.
Now, with that said I need to also clarify that my spindle is belt driven and turns at twice the rpm of the motor when set for high RPM ..
So when I input a 'spindle speed' of 1000 RPM .. that's a 'motor speed' of 500 RPM.
Hope this makes sense .. not sure how else to explain it.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 10:27:20 AM »
gd.marsh thanks for posting this.  I'm struggling with exact same issue.  Looks like this approach will work.
Question, what is "RPM Ratio" used for?  Are you filling some DRO with that value?
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 11:43:09 AM »
Wanted to make another comment.  I just went through this exercise again and what I concluded was that CW and CCW depends on how the motor is wired.  One can swap any two out of 3 leads on the 3-phase motor to change rotation.

gd.marsh, I think your motor is wired in reverse because the manual says for forward directions coil 1 & 2 would be 1 & 0 (Run = 1) (FWD = 0) You are setting it to 1 & 1 for forward direction.

I ended up with a brain that is inverse of what you have but I haven't tested it yet on the machine but it looks OK in mach simulation.
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 01:42:31 AM »
May be the case but after mucking around with this for so long & being so frustrated by it not working .. once I got to this place I wasn't too concerned about how it was wired.  It spins in the right direction when I give it an M3 command & it reverses when I give it an M4 command so as far as I'm concerned = it works!
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 02:30:37 AM »
Sinij kot,

I just went back to double check and my manual says: coil #1 is 0=off / 1=Run and coil #2 is 0=Rev / 1=Fwd .. meaning you have to command 1-1 to run in forward motion which is the way I have mine setup .. Perhaps my description of it is where the confusion is coming from.  After re-reading the way I described it my post of April 27th I made it sound like I'm using 0=Fwd .. Actually just case of bad communication on my part.
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 01:00:23 AM »
I know you said your done, but here is a trick, use the holding register instead of the coils.  Add the bits together then write it at one time with FC6.

You also could have wrote the following to the Holding Register instead of using Coils.  My 7300 works fine like that.
1 = Run in Forward
3 = Run in Reverse
17 = Jog Mode in Forward
19 = Jog Mode in Reverse

The bits are simple Binary,
The first bit is 0 or 1
2nd is 2
3rd is 4
4th is 8
5th is 16
6th is 32
7th is 64
8th is 128

You simply add the values together for the bit combination you want.
For Example:  Run Forward is the first bit  so writing a 1 to the holding register sets the 1st bit.
Writing a 3 to the holding register sets the first and second bit to ON
Writing a 19  turns on RUN, REVERSE, and JOG
Switched to a Hitachi SJ200 after my original Teco drive failed on me.
There were many frustrating hours spent trying to get this working but I finally figured it out. 
Below are the Modbus setup screen & the Brain I'm using to accomplish Forward / Reverse / RPM's in Mach.

Since all it takes is to write to 1 coil for reverse motion that was easy (the second coil defaults to 0 which changes direction to forward)
The hardest part for me was figuring out how to write to two coils at the same time to get forward motion. 
Finally dawned on me I could use the same 'Spindle CW on' LED twice to do this .. mapping it once to coil '0' & once to coil '1' .
Once I made that single change in my brain .. it worked perfectly.
RPM's also have to be written to register '0' to work .. because again that's actually the first register.

Hope this helps someone else who's struggling like I did to understand this stuff.
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 10:11:55 PM »
Any chance you can upload your brain file? :)