Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:21:44 AM

Author Topic: tool offsets when writing your own gcode  (Read 8786 times)

tool offsets when writing your own gcode
« on: April 26, 2011, 07:38:32 AM »
Ok, i'm just starting with tool offsets and i've got an 8 station tool changer. When i write gcode manually and have to make a tool change what do i have to put in to make the change and get mach to see the offset.

i can get the change done with m6txx but how do i get the offset to apply. Do i have to add g43 hxx before the m6txx.

If that works how do i get the second tool offset for tool 1 to work.?
Re: tool offsets when writing your own gcode
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 02:33:27 PM »
I don't have a multiple tool setup but you should be able to save offsets in the "Offset" tab in Mach. Then just call up the tool you need in the program code as usual.
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 03:28:42 PM »
Ok, i'm just starting with tool offsets and i've got an 8 station tool changer. When i write gcode manually and have to make a tool change what do i have to put in to make the change and get mach to see the offset.

i can get the change done with m6txx but how do i get the offset to apply. Do i have to add g43 hxx before the m6txx.

If that works how do i get the second tool offset for tool 1 to work.?

Hi,

Normaly I put:-

T1 M06
G43 H1

There was a bug in a previous version of mach that didn't like the tool change and apply offsets on the same block line.
You will need to set the tool length values in the tool table either manually or by using the settings page.

Not sure what you mean by "the second tool offset for tool 1 to work"
ATB
Derek
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 03:30:48 PM by derekbpcnc »
You can "chop it off" but can't "chop it on"
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 04:11:38 PM »
Thanks Derek, i have the tool offsets stored and the g43 seems to work. The second tool offset is the multiple offsets on each tool position (m6 t0101) (m6 t0102), i take it you call them with the h1, h2, h3 ect.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 04:15:52 PM by angel tech »
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 04:44:58 PM »
Thanks Derek, i have the tool offsets stored and the g43 seems to work. The second tool offset is the multiple offsets on each tool position (m6 t0101) (m6 t0102), i take it you call them with the h1, h2, h3 ect.

Hi,

I think I see - you are using a lathe :-) I'm only the "milling department" so better hand you over to a lathe expert as i'd be more guessing than giving info based on experience.

As I understand though, each turret position can have multiple tools, so the T6 tool change calls the turret position then the tool and offset are then applied for the particular tool in use.

ATB
Derek

You can "chop it off" but can't "chop it on"
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 04:47:58 PM »
No, i'm using a mill, it has an 8 station carousel. So i have 8 tool positions but i will have more than 8 tools the second 8 will have to be given the second offset, and the third set of eight ect.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 06:19:44 PM »
OK , IF you have an 8 tool  changer then you only have 8 slots available to use when running code.

To use the offsets the PROGRAMER must apply the offsets via Gcode  G43 applies the height correction and the G41/42 applies the inside and outside radius correction.

To use the tool change you must add the tool corrections to the tool table  tool1 will be slot1 tool2 will be toll slot 2 etc etc.

Once the tool table is up to date on all 8 slots then you tool change code and offset code can use these values for correction.

BUT you are the one responcible to add the correction via Gcode.

M6 T2              tool change for slot#2
G43 H2             appllies the height correction for slot#2
G1 Z0.000
G41                  applies the Radius correct for the current tool (tool#2)
G1 X1Y0            required leadin to comp the tool.
working code

Hope that helps,  I would suggest the Peter Smit book for more info.

(;-) TP

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 04:43:09 AM »
ok, if i want to use a different set of eight tools in the carousel, i would call them as m6t1 to m6t8 for teh tool position and g43h9 to g43h16 for teh z offset to identify the offset.
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 04:53:07 AM »
And g41 applies the stored tool diameter of the called g43hxx. To cancel this you call g40 before the next toolchange.?

Do you have to cancel the g43 before every toolchange, or does the next g43 override the previous one.
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 11:59:04 AM »
G40 cancels all tool compensation. You will have to put the G41 and G43 for the next tool.