Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:02:20 AM

Author Topic: 3X parallel ports  (Read 6132 times)

3X parallel ports
« on: April 23, 2011, 08:18:11 AM »
 I would imagine this would be a relatively easy thing. but i would really like to have access to three parallel ports! I currently have a dual Parallel port card in my machine and Mach does a great job of letting me have access to both cards. but i would still like to have access to more pins without having to resort to a USB device. I have a 3rd port just sitting there unused and i would think that it would be something easy to do to allow Mach to have access to those pins as well???

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: 3X parallel ports
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 08:30:51 AM »
It's not an easy thing to do, and won't happen. If it was easy, you'd already have it.

I don't know the technical details, but this has been asked in the past.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline MMM

•  2 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 04:26:27 AM »
Hello Moderators,

I was reading with stupefaction that no 3rd parallel card would be able in Mach3, but I'm interested in this feature too ... and many other users too ... what is the technical problem that this will not be implemented ?

Because using multiple Parallel cards in other applications is no real programming problem ...

Can you just tell some more detail where the problem is so we can find maybe a solution together ?

Best regards

MMM

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 07:25:22 PM »
SORRY  Guys BUT mach3 is NOT open source so we are dependant on the owners of Mach3 to create the options.  Extra LPTs probably could be used for simple I/O but not axis functions such as step direction.

Put in a request to Andrew and see what pops up.

(;-) TP

andrewm

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 09:03:30 AM »
It's not an easy thing to do, and won't happen. If it was easy, you'd already have it.

I don't know the technical details, but this has been asked in the past.

Correct. That's like asking a mechanic to put a Hemi in a Ford Fiesta. Just wont happen :/

lol, ok maybe a little extreme but you get my point... the reason it hasn't been done? Simple, cheap and effective alternatives(IE: I/O expansion boards, Pokeys) :p

Sorry folks but I don't really see this one coming to fruition.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 10:07:01 AM »
YEs but NONE are as dependable and easy to deal with  as PCI (;-)  Art had told us long ago that doing a 3rd lpt was not hard as long as you did NOT require step direction or limts or probing (just simple digital  I/O).

How about a simple PCI I/O card for about $1 per channel   72 channels for $72. There is a nice simple PCI I/O card that is available but needs the interface to MAch3.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

andrewm

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 10:10:49 AM »
Something like that is beyond my pay grade ;)

IF it were to be done, it wouldn't be seen until the new version of Mach(Mach4).