Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:14:11 PM

Author Topic: Large Oxy Profile Cutter  (Read 11166 times)

Re: Large Oxy Profile Cutter
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 02:47:06 AM »
Wow, that must be the biggest CNC I have ever seen under Mach control, impressive!

Offline GMB

•  9 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 08:19:24 PM »
Zafar,

Nice machine!  In the USA, Smith Equipment manufactures OXY / FUEL torches that mix the gas in the tip.  Check out oxy / propane tips.  They work well and the cost to operate is much less than acetylene.  The cut is also cleaner.  Here is a link to their catalog page that shows the specs for tips.  I used to sell their product and it is excellent.

http://www.smithequipment.com/products/pdfpages2010/page33.pdf
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 06:00:46 AM »
It's been quite some time since I updated on my machine. It is in full operation now.

Some things I would like to share about shortcomings of Mach3 for oxy/fuel cutters. For a big machine like this we can't align the work pieces to the axes. So Mach axes had to be rotated for alignment. I used G68 for it. But another thing I learned that for big machines like these you need reverse run too. Sometimes the flame stops cutting in the middle of cut and then you have to pause and then reverse run the gcode to reheat the work piece and start cut again. And then what. I discover that reverse run doesn't work with rotated axes :'(. Reverse run doesn't work with tool compensation (G42, G43) too. That can be catered for in the cam software (a little inconvenient for the operator, but doable). But reverse run and rotated axes not working together was a pain.

Luckily I found a free utility on net for g-code manipulation called grecode.exe. This neat little software runs from command line and you can move, rotate, make arrays etc. of your g-code with it. Put it in a few macros and wizards and we are all set for job setup on machine that is easy for operators.

There were some more minor things which came up during this project. My designed screens with dark grey background looked very nice in the workshop environment but when I installed them in a space where it was bright daylight then suddenly it appeared that the screen contrast makes it unreadable. Changed graphics to a light grey scheme and that fixed it.

Anyways, I learned a lot about Mach and the flame cutting process with this project. Next project is a plasma cutter with THC.

Zafar
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 06:05:38 AM by zafarsalam »
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 12:40:06 AM »
Here's a photo of the machine from overhead crane.
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 01:29:57 AM »
Wow. Wouldn't fit that one in my shed.  :o
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 10:27:38 AM »
Hello guys,

My name is Abed from Israel , 6 mounths ago i have started with cnc world. or with mach3 lets say ;)
I have maked a small cnc plasma machine with very standard parts, like TB6560, nema 17, all things were very standard, and i have succeeded with it to cut many pieces and many complicated pierces also.
The very improtant thing for me was that i have succeeded to run the machine, to know many things on mach3, vb, or scrren set, or macro, ok i cant say every thing on mach3 but many principles things!

Now I have started with the next table, it's 2.2m×1.1m
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 10:47:26 AM »
Here is the new machine that I have started to making!