Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 04:11:25 AM

Author Topic: Large Oxy Profile Cutter  (Read 11134 times)

Large Oxy Profile Cutter
« on: April 22, 2011, 03:10:31 PM »
Hi ,
Im new to the forum. I have built 3 cnc's so far. An engraver. A wood router and my latest was this Oxy Profile cutter
Ive been using it to cut plate for earthmoving attachments etc.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 03:23:04 PM by CNC-AL »

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
Re: Large Oxy Profile Cutter
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 04:02:36 PM »
Looks real nice. Thanks for sharing!
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 09:35:21 AM »
I've just started work on an oxy fuel cutter too. It's 6 x 30 meters. It will be my first machine of this kind. So far I've done mostly mills.

What are you using for torch height adjustment. Is it manual?

Zafar
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 12:20:27 PM »
Hi Zafar and good luck with your project. would be real nice to see some pics as you progress. My torch height is a manual setup. It has a rack and pinion with a handwheel on the side. if you look close you can see the silver colour handwheel on the 2nd pic. Works fine can just wind it up and down as the machine is running. Was thinking of automating it but have found that there really is no need for it. Cheers and thanks for looking at my machine.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 12:50:07 PM »
Thanks for your wishes. I'll take photos as I progress with that project. That machine was originally working on copy templates (1:10 ratio). About 8 years ago somebody installed dc servos and a nc control on it. Now that is dead too and they want me to upgrade it to cnc. I am going to replace DC servos with AC servo motors and give them better rapids and other bells and whistles.

What's the typical cutting speed you set for 1/2" and 1" thick mild steel plates.

Zafar
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 12:46:03 PM »
Hi Zafar. I have a good chart at my workshop which has all tip sizes, cutting speeds and kerf sizes. Ill scan it and post it for you soon.
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 01:25:44 AM »
Thanks a lot CNC-AL. That would be great help.

Zafar
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 04:57:18 AM »
Hi Zafar sorry I took so long to get the charts.
Here they are.
Hope this helps.
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 09:26:57 AM »
Thanks a lot for the charts. These will be of great help for setting up my machine. The hardware is all ready and I'll start working on the retrofit from next week. I'll post photos as it progresses.

Zafar
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 12:19:34 PM »
The retrofit is complete. Cut our first profile yesterday. Next 3 days will be spent on training the operators and programmers for the use of new control. I'll post more photos later.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 12:22:39 PM by zafarsalam »