Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:52:47 AM

Author Topic: Need help wiring a Keiling spindle and VFD  (Read 9266 times)

Need help wiring a Keiling spindle and VFD
« on: April 12, 2011, 06:19:51 AM »
Hi guys,i have been going round in circles for weeks trying to get information from John about his products!I first contacted him weeks ago about weather i needed the VFD to run the 2200 spindle or was it just a normal 240v motor,and his reply was (240 volt)so i went ahead and ordered the spindle on its own as i would add the variable speed unit later.After several emails back and forth to john i finally found out that the spindle will not work without the VFD unit,so i ordered it and waited anoyher couple of weeks for it to arrive in Australia and now i still cant find out how to wire it up but now he tells me i need a C11 BOB to run it and my control box has a C10.Can anyone please help me with this as i dont think this is the answer either,somhow it has to get 240v from mains power to run it.Thanks Chris.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Need help wiring a Keiling spindle and VFD
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 06:36:59 AM »
Dont know what VFD you have but normally you put the mains into the VFD (single or three phase depending on VFD) and then you get Three Phase out which connects to your motor.
Now often there are buttons on the VFD to allow Fwd, Rev and Up/Down speed control but you can also usually connect a Pot to control the speed manually and also there will likely be three wires to control Fwd/Stop/Rev. If you want to control from Mach rather than manually then you will need  a double throw relay for Fwd/Rev and also a spindle control board to put out a variable voltage  to control the speed.

If you can provide a link to a PDF for the VFD I am sure you will get more specific info but as you are in Ozz it might be worth looking at Peter Homanns spindle control boards, have heard good things about them and Peter will be able to help you out wiring the VFD with his board.

http://www.homanndesigns.com/store/

Hood
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 07:03:48 AM »
Hi Hood,my VFD is a Keling KL-VFD22.Thanks for any help.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 07:20:55 AM »
The type 2200 is a 220 Volt, 400Hz, 3phase spindle which, as you have discovered does indeed require the VFD to operate.
If you wish to control the spindle from Mach you will also need the C11 breakout board as this can provide the 0 to 10 Volts analog speed signal for the VFD which is derived from the Mach PWM spindle output and also the on / off switch control for the VFD (unfortunately the C10 is a bit lacking in this department).

Hope this helps.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 07:37:15 AM »
Cant find any info for the VFD on Keling site other than the basic specs.

Still think the best move as you are in Ozz would be to contact Peter as he likely has had experience with these VFDs and his control boards.
Hood
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 07:49:14 AM »
Hi guys,thanks for your help,can i use this without runing it through Mach3!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 07:51:24 AM »
You should be able to use it via the front panel on the VFD but setting up a VFD usually requires parameters set in the VFD so without the manual you will just be guessing which parameter is for what.
Hood
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 08:00:05 AM »
Thanks Hood,That is all out of my league i only wanted a spindle that was better then a router,this has been a nightmare!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 08:02:01 AM »
Did you not get a manual with the VFD?
Still reckon you should contact Peter if you are wnting to control from Mach.
Hood
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 08:05:09 AM »
It seams like there is no manual ! but i will try Peter tomorrow.Thanks.