Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:50:47 AM

Author Topic: Mach3 is not talking to Breakout board  (Read 35306 times)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 is not talking to Breakout board
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 02:02:50 AM »
Robert,

5.1 Volts is OK.

If you can get into the BIOS of your PC (F2 or delete etc at startup) then you may be able to chqange the configuration of your parallel port to ECP.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 11:21:10 AM »
I did as you gentlemen suggested.  I was able to change the port to ECP.  I restarted the computer and the device manager show that it is ECP.
I did run the Mach test program and it ran for about 5 minutes and then a little window appeared that said "mach test complete".  I assume if there was an error it would have shown an error.
When I am in the device manager the little check box for "legacy plug and play" is checked and the "never use an interupt" is also checked. I changed the legacy plug and play and changed the interupt to "use interrupt assigned by setup".  I hope this isn't an error.  Nothing changed.  The Dir pins voltage do not change when I move the press the arrow keys and I plugged it into the BOB and all the lights for step and Dir are still lit.

Any more ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 11:48:07 AM »
Hmm.... I remember someone was having a problem with lost steps here and he was reporting that his direction pins' state was not changing, but rather he was seeing pulses on the direction lines. It's an abnormal condition (don't remember if he reported/found the cause), but may be it's what you're having. Can you try measuring the spindle relay output? Try to toggle the spindle ON and OFF and see if it changes state.

Otherwise, looks to me like you're printer port is not functioning properly. May be reinstalling it or something could help...

Dan
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 12:45:38 AM »
I am having a similar problem so I have been reading the comments for answers.  My issue is a little different.  I can get a voltage change when I jog the X.  Connected to Step,  I get a voltage change from .072 to .095.  I don't think my breakout board can read such small voltage.  I have checked TestDriver, address, offline button, reset and none of it seems to change that I really am not getting a reading worth mentioning.  Any additional help would be appreciated. 

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 01:31:57 AM »
Since the step line is a square wave, and not a constant DC (nor a 50Hz AC), the voltmeter will show just "something" based on its interpolation technique. It is not a value to judge by the output correctness. But since the value does change, you can tell that signals do go out of the breakout board.

Dan
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 03:47:22 AM »
Thanks.  That is very helpful.   What about the DIR.  What voltage should that be when testing it while running the jog CCW.

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 05:30:36 AM »
If you're measuring at the PP output it would be around 0V in its low state and around 5V (or 3.3V depending on your PP card) in its high state.

Dan
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, 09:13:25 AM »
HI I had the same problem last week. My computer guy had turned of the lpt1 port when he set up the computer.
It looked like it was runing on the screen but was not sending pulses to the break out board. I had to go into the config and turn on the port.
 Even though the mach said the port was conected it was not. and the test said everything was good and was runing find.
 Somthing like that is confusing to say the least.
It said it was working but the pins didnt show any response to voltage change.
 Also if your pins read 5 volts at rest do you have your mach set to pin low or pin high.
I have mine set to operate at pin low voltage. it will not run at pin high.
THIS MEANS THAT IT SENDS a pulse when the voltage is turned of not when it is turned on.
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2011, 11:02:42 AM »
Thanks for the Info.  This site is a great resource.  I felt like I was on my own until I found this place.  I was able to get it to work.  It ended being the breakout board.  It ended up being the voltage coming from the drive to power the CNC side of the breakout board was only 50ma.  It was not enough to work it.  Now all seems to be working fine.  Thanks again for all your help.  My job is not done so I will most likely be back for more help.
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2017, 10:13:44 PM »
hi,
I hope someone can help me with my mach3... I've bought new breakout board and trying to connect with mach3, I already change the port address to my mach3 but when I load G-Code it not even move. how should I know that breakout board is connected to mach3?