Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:17:40 PM

Author Topic: Probing  (Read 7165 times)

Re: Probing
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 10:12:29 PM »
With that machstdmill do you offer a 5 axis screen?
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 10:37:42 PM »
Hi,
Sorry, but the answer is 99% "no".
MachStdMill is a 4 axis layout. The 4 are x,y,x,a - the only place there is any implicit knowledge of B is for the B axis alignment probing support. I hesitated to do that since there were no B DRO displays in the set. I think the users that have B rotary axes are using them configured as A, but aligned along Y.  My impression is they use A XOR B, but not both - that keeps things to 4 axes, even though the "A" designation may then be non-conventional.

Dave

With that machstdmill do you offer a 5 axis screen?
Author of the MachStdMill Extensions for Mach3
www.CalypsoVentures.com
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 10:58:45 PM »
Maybe this will still work. A or B is just a designation, right?

It will be a trunnion table, I guess call that "A" that the "B" rotary will sit on.

I want to probe a shaft to make "A" rotate to vertical. Even though the shaft  is fixtured to"B", "B" is just sitting there.

So let's say everytime I want to do this procedure, I can just load up your screenset? For my 5 axis use (no probing just cutting) I would load that screenset?

I don't have my machine running yet, but very close... I'm not familiar with changing screens and how does it affect the settings... i.e. ball screw pitch, acceleration settings, preferences. Does that make sense?
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 02:58:33 AM »
Hi,
Mach stores machine configuration information in a "profile". Changing the screen set which is running doesn't normally change the physical machine configuration (pitch, acceleration etc) settings.

My suggestion would be to first get your machine running, then spend some time using Mach so you'll have a firmer understanding of how profiles relate to screen sets etc. When you're comfortable with the "stock operation" of Mach, try several different screen sets to see how well they fit your particular goals.  Since 5 axis work is not a topic I'm real familiar with, I won't offer an opinion as to how much use MSM may or may not be for your particular needs.

Dave
Author of the MachStdMill Extensions for Mach3
www.CalypsoVentures.com