Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:14:09 PM

Author Topic: ? Big Bed Mill Retrofit  (Read 13050 times)

Offline diygranite

•  13 13
  • oops
    • View Profile
? Big Bed Mill Retrofit
« on: March 14, 2011, 01:30:29 AM »
 I have a big 3 axis 7,000 lb circa 1985 bed mill (wish I knew the manufacturer--if you know-tell me) with a Dynapath 10 (the one you cant drip feed long programs to), 10hp 3000rpm spindle, brushed servo dynamic servos with servo dynamic drives and a 12 tool umbrella/arm atc (not working because missing some kind of sensor to detect tool position). I just purchased a galil 1740 for the retrofit project. I assume i need a galil 1900 and scsi100 cable next. I assume i can use a modio to talk to the omron plc of the toolchanger and add another modio for a pendant. I could use the 4th axis for the spindle but wanted to reserve it for future rotary table. Is ther another way to operate the spindle?

The tool changer is missing some kind of sensor above the slitted encoder disk. There is a 8 conducter wire with nowhere to plug it in. Can someone recognise this changer or what might be missing. Tool changer brand is Boston Motion. It has a pneumatic arm and movement. See pictures below (Ill have better ones tomorrow). Also any comments are welcome as I am all new to this.

Offline diygranite

•  13 13
  • oops
    • View Profile
Re: ? Big Bed Mill Retrofit
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 12:12:55 AM »
Here is a picture of the mystery machine. With the description above, anybody recognize the manufacturer? Any comments on first post?

Morris

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 05:09:25 PM »
Afraid I dont know what it is but looks like a nice mill. What spindle taper does it have?
What command type does the spindle take? I would imagine you could run it fine from the galil as a spindle but dont know too much about the galils I am afraid.
Does the Omron PLC have ModBUS?
Hood

Offline diygranite

•  13 13
  • oops
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 05:52:26 PM »
Cat40 tooling on 5hp AC spindle using  ARNI-889 Toshiba spindle drive 50-4000 rpm (info on board:http://www.redrive.net/product/ARNI-889/ARNI-889-Toshiba-PCB-board.html). The PLC is a SYSMAC S6 (MODEL# 3G2A3-MP523). I dont know if it is modbus (how can you tell? Did they have it in 1985?). Also, x axis is 28" y axis is 13" and z axis is 17". It has limit switches on the z but none on x or y axis (soft limits are used on the dynapath 10).

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 06:35:43 PM »
Oh ok, thought maybe it was a newer PLC that had been added. If your Galil has plenty I/O you could probably just work the PLC from it and a macro, if not I think I would go the new PLC route myself.

Dont fancy not having hardware limits, softlimits are OK until something screws up in software and in that situation its nice to have hardware limits that will trip your drives.

Cant really see from the pic of the spindle board what command input it needs.
Hood

Offline diygranite

•  13 13
  • oops
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 11:43:28 PM »
I guess its an inverter control board. I will research that.

Morris

Offline diygranite

•  13 13
  • oops
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 12:15:01 AM »
Here is more information from about the same year using the same board.
I guess it is 0-10v inverter with forward/reverse and on/off.
Morris

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 09:17:10 AM »
 As I said I am not familiar with the Galil but normally you can use a 0 to 10v output for a spindle which does not have to mean you use up an axis.
Hood
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 12:00:04 AM »
It is pretty much the same as mine.  Mine has a factory 14" riser and doesn't have the full enclosure, but they are the same machine.  They were sold here as a Vulcan, but it is Kasahara iron from Japan.  NC Electronic Services imported them and probably added the control and tool changer.  I think Compumill had some dealings with Kasahara and may have eventually bought them out.

The part you are missing on the tool changer is a four channel photo diode or photo transistor board that provides binary logic for the tool changer.  The PLC takes transistor level signals, so it is a very simple circuit.  On mine, there was a separate cabinet with some extended IO modules for the PLC.  These are all for the tool changer.

I am using a Galil 2280 and use one axis for the spindle.  I am using a Siemens PLC and have enough IO between the two to communicate with simple logic.  I have two of the Omron PLC's and the programming terminal if you are interested.  I originally bought a backup, but then decided to upgrade.  The new PLC is programmed for the tool changer, but I haven't tested it yet.  If you want to keep the Omron, you should at least pull the program so that you have a backup or the logic if you need to upgrade.  There are something like 20 steps to a tool change, so its really not something you want to do from scratch. 

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 12:18:02 AM »
Also, regarding the inverter, I believe that the ARNI-889A is just the control board.  The inverter should be a VT130G1 series, probably a 2055.  It was most likely using a 0-10V signal from the Dynapath and the FWD REV lines.  I am running my machine on 240 single phase using an oversized Yaskawa inverter.  The Toshiba was gone before I got the machine, but I do have the manual.