Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:59:57 AM

Author Topic: Mach3 behaving strangely  (Read 7122 times)

Mach3 behaving strangely
« on: March 11, 2011, 07:14:48 PM »
I have a new install of Mach3 Demo to set up my machine. I have configured my travel limits to all come in on 1 port pin because of limited inputs from my breakout board. This works fine, for a few minutes. Here is the situation, when I first start Mach and begin to jog my machine if I hit a travel limit the machine stops and tell me in Mach that a travel limit has been tripped. I reset Mach and all is well. However, after jogging a few minutes the travel limits no longer stop Mach from operating. When I go into diagnostics I can see that the travel limits are in fact coming on when I press them but Mach continues to run. This happens every time I start Mach after about 5 minutes of machine motion.

Anybody know what could cause this?

Thanks,
Scott

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Mach3 behaving strangely
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 07:19:44 PM »
So, if you're in the diagnostics screen, and your jogging and hit the switch, the LED will come on , but the machine won't stop?
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 07:33:21 PM »
Yes, I can be jogging and looking at the diagnostics and trip one of my limits and it will illuminate in Mach. I have all six limits wired to one pin input. In diagnostics, all six limits will come on when I trip a limit but Mach ignores it and just keep on jogging. I have re-started Mach and restarted my computer several times.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 08:00:01 PM »
Hi Scott,
 You might try reinstalling Mach.
The lockdown version.
Russ

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 08:32:37 PM »
If you attach your xml maybe the problem can be found.
Hood
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 09:24:53 AM »
I have additional information about my problem. When I first start up mach and my machine I can jog via the keyboard and trip a limit and the machine will stop instantly and require that I reset it. It will then reset as it should and continue to run and continue to stop when I trip a limit. BUT, if I click Ref All Home then mach will not stop when a limit is pressed. It will home normally, but after the home is complete it will not stop if I jog via the keyboard and trip a limit. I can open diagnostics and see that the limits are tripping but mach ignores them after a home routine. I am running the stable release of Mach demo. The only unusual setup that I have is that all my limits are wired normally open and all of them come into 1 pin on my G540 drive.

I have attached my XML file.

My computer specs;
Windows XP pro service pack 2
pentium processor 2.79 GHz
640 MB of ram

I am running no antivirus, this is a new clean install of windows and this machine is not connected to the web.

Thanks for any insight, I am really stuck here.

-Scott

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 09:47:36 AM »
Do you have 9 switches?
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 09:49:18 AM »
Sounds to me like your homing is not completing and Mach is still in the homing state, ie ignoring limits.
Will go see if I can find a prob in your xml.
Hood
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 10:10:52 AM »
I have 6 limits, 2 per axis all wired together normally open, any limit will produce an input on pin 10
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 10:15:59 AM »
I also have 3 home sensors that are NPN type all wired together that land on 1 input to the G540. These produce an input on pin 11. My machine homes all three axis and then stops, so I think that it homes successfully.

Thanks to you guys for taking time out for me.

-Scott