Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 09:46:01 AM

Author Topic: Newbie new parallel port question  (Read 9267 times)

Newbie new parallel port question
« on: March 03, 2011, 05:42:26 AM »
Hey, Everybody
 I have Win Xp with new pci parallel port card set as LPT1 printer port 0378. In Mach 3 I have set the port 1 address correctly to 0x378.
Port pins to 2 to 7 from the PC, I get 5.06 Volts steady.

In Mach3: X axis, enabled, step pin 0, dir pin 2, dir low active (disabled), step low (disabled), step port 1, dir port 1
              Y Axis,  same    step pin 0, dir pin 3, same
              Z axis,  same     step pin 0, dir pin 4, same
for motor signal check through the parallel port, jogging the motor in x,y,z I still get 5.06 volts. I should get 5 volts in dir only and 0 volts in step but I get a steady 5.06 volts from pins 2-7. I haven't even plugged in the parallel port cable yet.

I speak Airplane all day, speaking CNC I'm in the 2nd grade so go easy please. Later.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie new parallel port question
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 06:04:44 AM »
Your step and direction pins should be different for each axis unless you are trying to do something special.
A typical configuration would be something like

X step pin 2
X dir    pin 3
Y step pin 4
Y dir    pin 5

etc.

The actual pin numbers would depend on your controller board or how you have wired individual controllers to your breakout board.

Within Mach you have to enable the outputs to see anything at the parallel port and you will only be able to measure a steady voltage on the Dir pins as you jog in different directions (the step pins pulse too fast for reliable voltmeter readings).

Does this help or confuse ?

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 06:59:21 AM »
I'm checking the parallel port pins to check the interface from Mach3. With my previous settings I was checking pins 2, 3, 4, in dir only. Motor output page, I put number 2 for (parallel port pin 2) in the x axis  Dir pin colume I should get around 4.3 volts at pin port 2 when I hit the left arrow on the keypad to jog the motor signal and when I hit the right arrow key it should go to around 0 volts. Is this not correct.  Number 3 is set in the Y axis and page down I should get around 4.3 volts and then page up key I should get around 0 volts and so on for pin 4 in the zed axis. Then start the set all over again, to check pin 5 in the x axis, 6 in the y axis, 7 in the x axis. This is only for checking motor signal and voltage to the parallel port pins, later I will set each pin to the xyz axis step motors later.
 The point is I should not be getting a steady 5.0 voltage to the parallel port pins. When I toggle the motor output, a signal should go to the parallel port to toggle the motor in the counter or clock wise direction. The test shows that I have no signal from Mach3 to the parallel port at all. Why is this? This is the BIG question. Yes I have had all the motors, breakout board and step drivers hooked up properly but could not get any motors to turn. So I'm trouble shooting the problem starting with the parallel port interface.

Thanks for the help so far.
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 07:23:28 AM »
http://Http://buildyourowncnc.com/CNCElectronicsandwiring.aspxhttp://
Video CNC electronics 5-testing the parallel port. Watch this video please.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 07:24:38 AM »
I am sure you have already done this but it may be worth checking the resource of you printer port in device manager to make sure that the address is indeed 0378 and also that your PCI card has been configured as an ECP printer port.

Also do you have the Mach3 drivers installed - run the DriverTest.exe program in the Mach folder and see what results you get.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 07:29:23 AM »
OK how do I set the pci to ecp printer and I'm checking the drivers in mach 3. Finnally some help thanks.
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 07:35:02 AM »
Mach3 driver checks out OK.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 07:46:23 AM »
When you install the PCI card and it asks for drivers it should give the option to install as ECP.
Does yours show as ECP in the device manager window ?

Tweakie.

PEACE
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 07:53:09 AM »
When installed the pci card win XP just acknowledged the card and used win drivers.
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 08:01:50 AM »
I'M going to reinstall a new PCI card with drivers I will set it to ECP and see what happens. Thanks again Tweak