Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:32:42 PM

Poll

Is there a basic tutorial how to config mach3 to run 5 steper motors?

I dont understand
0 (0%)
what this mean, sorry
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: my 5 step motors acting strangely  (Read 22439 times)

Re: my 5 step motors acting strangely
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2011, 05:05:36 AM »
I have now tried two different 25-pin cables and another computer but the problem is still there, but after I have tried some different settings the problem has moved from axis Y to Z. So now All axis works perfect except Z Which just shakes sometimes and works nice sometimes.
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2011, 05:10:24 AM »
I now tried to load the roadrunner g-code and the Z axis worked until the speed was to high than axis locked and started to shake. If I shift the motor output pins from Z to A the problem moves to A. So I guess it something with step pin 7 and dir pin 3.
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2011, 05:36:02 AM »
Another observation is that axis Z only works in Velocity 1-45 in the motor tuning but the other motors works from velocity 1- about 150 and if I drive the Z axis in velocity 15 I can stop the axis by hand that is impossible with the other axis.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2011, 07:01:55 AM »
More or less the same time zone as me then, maybe an hour out :)
Hood
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2011, 12:23:47 PM »
So any tip on what I shall do to make my Z axis work like the other axis?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2011, 01:14:18 PM »
Sorry didnt notice your previous replies.
What settings did you change?
Hood
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2011, 02:01:00 PM »
No problem, Well I just goof around with different pins and settings in motor tuning but everything is almost like it was yesterday.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2011, 02:12:34 PM »
Dont change pins as that will not help, the pins are dedicated to the particular motor  drive so if you change them then the wrong pins will be assigned and the motors wont work.
Motor tuning, yes you can mess with that but really you can work out roughly what you will have there as you know the motor has 200 steps per rev and then multiply by the microstepping setting you have set via the dip switches and that will be the amount of steps per rev which as you are not hooked up to a machine will be a unit. Once you do connect things to a machine then you will have to factor gearing (if any) and pitch of screws to get the correct  steps per unit. For Velocity you will likely get around 1000rpm, maybe more if the motors are unloaded, acceleration is just trial and error. However once you do connect up to a machine you will have to reset things as the load will make the motor tuning different.

You also have A and B as rotary axis, that means the steps are per degree so set them to linear at the moment so that you can easily calulate steps per unit and Velocity.

Hood
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »
I think it might be something in mach3 that interfere with pin 7 and 3 because I have tried it on two computers and with three different cables. Is this possible?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2011, 05:25:26 PM »
It is always possible that a setting in Mach is the problem but your xml looked ok.
Have a look in the BIOS and see what mode your port is in, set to ECP if its not and try again.
The xml you sent the last day seemed to be from an old version of Mach, might be worth trying the latest lockdown if you have not done so already.
Noise can also play a part in making things go weird, so maybe try and seperate your motors wiring out a bit neater and if possible use shielded cables.

Hood