Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:09:27 PM

Author Topic: CAM recommendation, other than CamBam  (Read 45531 times)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: CAM recommendation, other than CamBam
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 12:10:28 PM »
Rick,
I'm with Hood. There is a fair amount of software out there and one needs to really try them out before purchase. I thought CamBam was rather good
and without some of the common quirks, but, i only tried it out a long time ago. You never know what you will get into with CNC. I use LazyCam a lot and for the most part it satisfies my needs, but, i also wrote the manual for it , so have a rather good flavor of when something is screwy and can work around the problem without too much grief.  

Since like you, I have rather good CAD capability and can generate 3D out of Autocad i went with MeshCAM for 3D machining and so far I am happy with it.

So think about what you may end up doing as in the long run what is pricey now may turn out to be more economical in learning time  and money spent in the lung run.

The problem with trying things out is that you spend so much time learning different programs and after a while it's just a PITA.

Gerry has a program that generates code directly form Autocad ( free ) so you may want to try that out. Did i just say that after a while
trying programs becomes a pain.  ???

LOL,
RICH

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 01:13:47 PM »
As Rich says, I have a macro that exports g-code directly from AutoCAD. If you know what you're doing in AutoCAD, it's pretty simple.
http://home.comcast.net/~cncwoodworker/AC2GC.html
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 02:01:22 PM »
It sounds to me more like a case of starting with a bad DXF. Can you post what you are having problems with? Typically every CAM program will fail creating a pocket or profile type toolpaths if the geometry is not closed. If your sloppy with your drawing in AutoCAD you'll wind up open loops, crossed lines, etc. Every CAM program is going to have the same problems if your DXF artwork is not clean. If you can post a sample file you may get some good feedback on the DXF file itself.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline bowber

•  216 216
  • Kirkby Stephen,Cumbria, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 04:27:18 PM »
I've got both Sheetcam and Vcarve pro, I use Vcarve for signs due to the Vcarving but sometimes use it for 2 1/2D stuff and find it very good, easy to use and I like the preview you get.
Sheetcam is also very good and Les is very responsive to problems, he sometimes has a fix out in hours of being told about a problem and will try very hard to help.
For 3D I use Meshcam and for the money this is the best 3D CAM I've used (not used that many though)

However as others have said, if you've spent money on cambam then find out what your doing wrong as I've also heard good reports about it.

Steve

Offline rickw

•  110 110
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 07:45:42 AM »
The problem was exactly as Jeff mentioned. I had some open loops and didn't know it. I failed to see if the display was a "true" closure when using CamBam. I do have to ask, since many are mentioning 3D applications, how much 3D effect can you cut with just a 3 axis machine? I would like to progress into some of awesome works shown on the forums. Of course this will be as I learn more and progress.

I looked at the link to the AutoCad macro and it is cool. I am going to download and play with it on some scrap material.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2011, 08:11:51 AM »
This is 2.5D really but quite a few of us made these with 3 axis machines last year.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2011, 08:21:02 AM »
I would like to progress into some of awesome works shown on the forums.
To do that you will need the right software. So will repeat that it depends on what you want to do not only now but maybe in the future. ;)

RICH

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2011, 08:22:24 AM »
This is 2.5D really but quite a few of us made these with 3 axis machines last year.

Tweakie.

That would be considered a 3D part, imo.

I just got some 1/32" router bits, so I may need to cut another one. :)
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 08:27:43 AM »

I just got some 1/32" router bits, so I may need to cut another one. Smiley

You still wont get as much detail as I got  ;D ;D

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2011, 08:30:41 AM »
rick,
Go to the Vectric site and you will find a comparison sheet of the different Vectric programs. Think about what you want to do and relate to required software. The comparison comes in handy when looking at other software for functionality. They all have the breakup of software down to a science  and one can't win the game. :)
RICH