Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:43:01 AM

Author Topic: Denford starturn  (Read 8646 times)

Offline Kai

•  60 60
    • View Profile
Denford starturn
« on: February 09, 2011, 05:38:45 AM »
I have a starturn running on mach3 no problem at all but it has a 8 tool rotary tool post at the monent this is just set to the coolant button.
I was told the man to speek to is Hood hope thats ok Hood.
I was going to send a pm but if I get any advice I thought it would be better to be in the forum for others.
Just a general at the moment but if anyone can shed light on getting it to work with a code call to change that would be great.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Denford starturn
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 05:40:44 AM »
All depends how your turret works as to how you will do it.
Hood

Offline Kai

•  60 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 06:00:06 AM »
WOW that was quick  ;)
Ok stupid question but what are you meaning.
At the moment i press the coolant button and hold it untill the tool turns to the one I want then le go it moves back a little and locks in that position.
Is this what you ment
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 06:15:53 AM »
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 06:21:04 AM »
here's the electrical diagrams for it.

http://www.denfordata.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=585

Offline Kai

•  60 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 06:56:51 AM »
I think I got it but it sort of came across as way over my head. If it is wired to mach3 now on the button I have can this just be told to rotate untill it is at the tool post I want?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 07:35:59 AM »
Not looked at the info in the posts properly, will have a look in a bit but likely if its a normal motor then you will need some feedback to Mach to let it know if its indexed and to shut off the motor. If it was a stepper it could be done without feedback but still best to have some just in case.
Will look later on, probably this evening as have a load of work to do today as the boats are not at sea due to bad weather.
Hood
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 07:45:48 AM »
I think I got it but it sort of came across as way over my head. If it is wired to mach3 now on the button I have can this just be told to rotate untill it is at the tool post I want?
Yes, just call the coolant on and use a pause for the time it needs to be on, then call coolant off. So it would be

M8
g04p?
M9

Set the time in place of the ?

M8 starts the toolchange, g04p? sets the time it has to rotate to get past the ratchet, and M9 cancels the toolchange.

When the toolchange is cancelled by the M9 command the toolpost reverses and locks in position, then use multiple commands to move the changer more than one position, or work out the time it takes to move to 2,3 or more changes and enter that time.

There are people working on the code/vb script needed to use the denford control of the toolpost but i don't think anything has appeared yet.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 01:47:54 PM »
Do you reverse the motor to lock it against a pawl like is in the links above?

Relying on a G4 would definitely not be my choice unless I was standing at the machine all the time I was using it as there are no safeguards at all doing it that way but everyone to their own.

I have had a quick look at the docs and it seems like there are optical switcches there to show position so thats the way I would go, it would however require at least 3 spare inputs and 2 outputs.
Hood
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 01:54:37 PM »
using the denford logic is the better way to guarantee the movement of the toolpost.
The motor is automatically reversed to lock.