Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:54:36 AM

Author Topic: New CNC Router Start up Problem  (Read 18464 times)

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
Re: New CNC Router Start up Problem
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2011, 10:14:28 AM »
All motor wiring is verified and nothing wrong found

On the laptop, I now have a pulse frequency of 23k-25k and I get 4.9V on the printer port in all axes

When I power on the machine, I still get no axes moving but the DRO’s are all moving

Probotix told me to verify if I get 5V from the BOB to the drivers and I do have 5V in all axes

What else remains to check?
Nicolas

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2011, 10:44:05 AM »
Can you check with your voltmeter on the Dir outputs from the BOB to see if its changing when you change direction. You could also check to see if the Step outputs are working, depending on your active state but with a voltmeter yo will either see 5v and it drop slightly as you jog or you will see 0v and t increase in mV as you jog.

BTW 23 to 25K varying is not great and I think you will just be causing grief for yourself even if you do get it going.
Hood

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2011, 11:12:03 AM »
Much appreciated Hood, I don’t want to go against your knowledge but we had a bed snowstorm here in the last 2 days and cant go out to search for a new computer, but I found some in a place about 30km away and I intend to go soon to get one (used about $60.00).

I did ask Probotix to do what you are saying but he never got back at me. On each driver board I have 5 connections (A+, A-, B+, B-, and COM) and on each connection I have the motor wires connected. So you are saying to disconnect the motor wires and test on each connection to see if I get any voltage?

The reason I haven’t done this is because I’m afraid that I will burn something
Nicolas

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2011, 11:26:02 AM »
What drives do you ave? Are they expecting the common to be 0V or 5V?
Hood

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2011, 11:32:20 AM »
Sorry Hood I dont know what volts the COM is and from the attache link I cant find anything like that

http://www.probotix.com/manuals/ProboStepVX.pdf

BTW are you asking me to do this volt test on the output of BOB or the output of each driver?
Nicolas

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2011, 11:33:16 AM »
Oh and no, I was meaning the step and dir outputs from your BOB to your drives. What drives do you have, there should be more than 5 connections.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2011, 11:33:44 AM »
Ok see you have replied, I will look at the specs in a min.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2011, 11:38:07 AM »
Ok its going to be awkward to test as its the ribbon cable connection that you need to measure at. What is the active state you have set in Ports and Pins for Step and Dir pins.
Also I see they require a min of 5uS pulse width so might be a good idea to try Sherline mode, its on main Ports and Pins page.
Hood

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2011, 12:07:10 PM »
When I did the test for Probotix I removed the ribbon cable from the driver boards and tested the voltage from the end of the ribbon cable to the ground bar (pin #7 on the ribbon cable is labeled +5V and that is what I tested and I do have 5V there). I can do the same to verify the Step / Direction pulse if you want.

BTW the state where Probotix is located I just noticed on the web that they were hit with a huge snow storm and perhaps thats why he never came back to me.

The active state I have is Dir. Low but I do change that to see if I get different results

The Sherline mode is the one located where I select Port #1 ? and it is called “Sherline 1/2 Pulse Mode?
Nicolas

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2011, 12:17:17 PM »
You need active Low like in this pic for both step and dir on each axis. Also in next pic this is Sherline mode.
Hood