Hello Guest it is April 27, 2024, 05:59:53 PM

Author Topic: Driver test file not working  (Read 34619 times)

Offline rickw

•  110 110
    • View Profile
Re: Driver test file not working
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2011, 03:21:01 PM »
What screwed me up was having four motors instead of three when referring to the set up in the book. I get no voltage at the correct pin when the machine is in motion. The cable is good, just checked every pin for continuity. Now I will rig up a mall wire to test the port, my meter probe is to large for the LPT port holes. I cant tell you how much I appreciate the help. I am going to test them now.

Offline rickw

•  110 110
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2011, 03:23:51 PM »
No voltage coming from the correct pin from the port. Its a new motherboard and CPU. There is constant voltage at pins 10, 11,12, and 13 but none on the correct ones when in motion.

Offline rickw

•  110 110
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2011, 03:50:48 PM »
I'm not sure what to do now because it could be the port that is bad but W7 says the port is functioning properly. I'm not sure why the DriverTest file will not work. But that could give me some indication why things are not working.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 03:57:04 PM by rickw »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2011, 05:15:04 PM »
I am not sure if the driver test actually works in W7 but if the frequency on the Diagnostics page is showing and the Time in Int is there as well then it would seem to be fine.

Double check that the port addrress is correct by looking at the port in device manager and seeing its resources tab.
Hood

Offline rickw

•  110 110
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2011, 05:25:36 PM »
Both are set to 0378. I downloaded a parallel port monitor but cant run it due to W7 permission issues. It says I have total control but I still get error messages.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2011, 05:28:56 PM »
Both are set to 0378.
I am meaning what is the address in Windows, whatever the address is in windows you need to set that as Port 1 in Mach. 0376 is the norm for an onboard parallel port but it may not be so you will have to check in device manager in Windows.
Hood

Offline rickw

•  110 110
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2011, 06:07:05 PM »
I checked in device manager, under resources states  I/O range 0x378. I have even went into the bios and changed the type of port to EPP (enhanced parallel port) and ECP (Extended capabilities port) but no difference. I also changed the addresses and matched them in Mach but nothing is working. I have a hard time believing the port is bad. It is out of my realm of expertise to troubleshoot now. I'm not sure if its the hardware or software communicating with the hardware. As I said earlier, the board is new and how often does the parallel port go bad on a board? I need an old style printer to test it. Not sure how else to test it, short of taking it to a computer repair shop. I'm not sure how they would test it there either. 

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2011, 06:16:25 PM »
Ok simple test, go to Ports and Pins Inputs and set up X++ limit switch to  Port 1 Pin 11 and then save and take Mach out of reset. Next change to diagnostics page and then touch a wire between Pin 11 and Gnd on the port and see if the LED for X++ changes state when you do that.
Hood

Offline rickw

•  110 110
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2011, 06:24:54 PM »
Ok simple test, go to Ports and Pins Inputs and set up X++ limit switch to  Port 1 Pin 11 and then save and take Mach out of reset. Next change to diagnostics page and then touch a wire between Pin 11 and Gnd on the port and see if the LED for X++ changes state when you do that.
Hood

You lost me after resetting Mach. I have set the limit and pin but what pin 11 and ground? What port and LED are you referring? I have no idea what you are talking about.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2011, 06:29:42 PM »
Ok, Config menu then Ports and Pins then Inputs, set X++ to Port 1 Pin 11, apply and exit. Press the Reset button so that its not flashing then go to the diagnostics page. Next take a piece of wire and touch it between Pin 11 and the metal case of the port on the back of your computer. As you touch it you should see the LED on diagnostis page for X++ change state.

Hood