Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:39:31 AM

Author Topic: We need Linux port  (Read 25205 times)

Offline Whacko

•  239 239
  • Happy Days
    • View Profile
Re: We need Linux port
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2007, 05:33:46 PM »
Yeah, I agree that there is a lot of frustration towards Bill Gates and Microsoft, I understand that fully, but I might add that in my field I have found that most problems people experience with Windows is not the operating system, but bad drivers and coding practices by third party developers, that even goes as far as hardware's firmware that does not comply to the standards. OS2 just didn't get the market mainstream, why? Maybe that's the way money/profits influence the products available today. My problem is basically what faces a lot of developers and engineers, I love the idea of opensource and Linux or other OS developments, but the pressure to perform just leaves alsmost no time to get involved in a public project. Too few hours in a day! So what Microsoft offers in it's products and the availabilty of third party software for the Microsoft OS allows productivity, maybe one day I can contribute to opensource OS development, but right now I have to row the boat, or sink! ;D

William
Nothing's impossible
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2007, 06:56:03 PM »
Yup and we will never have a linux port... Time is the problem and I just don't see more then about 10 people that would use Linux... I would rather take the time to add the 3rd order planner!
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline Whacko

•  239 239
  • Happy Days
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2007, 07:00:52 PM »
Did you know that XP runs some of the ATMs here in Sweden? I have never heard of a problem that was XPs fault. Altho we have made quite a few jokes about it. (and no it's not the kind of ATM that you can use MS paint on, these are secure)
2000 has been used for a long time in ATM aswell without a problem.

Hey David, Our airports are running on Microsoft 2k servers, in the earlier years it wasn't unusual to walk into a terminal building, and seeing a BIG blue screen saying "Windows protection error, your system needs to be restarted!" It was VERY funny! That was then running NT, but a lot of the problems even then was the translators between non Windows servers and Windows servers, but the worst is, the entire National breweries plant automation are running on NT, and I saw a night watchman crash the system, he was fascinated by the mouse and the "ladders"! Maybe he thought it was a game, he was clicking away until the plant shut down! THAT was funny!

William
Nothing's impossible
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2007, 07:18:45 PM »
Not sure what a 3rd order planner is but I'm sure i want one. Go for it!
I think that Mach is all about user friendly-ness and I have heard a lot of things about Linux but user friendly is not one of them.

@Whacko: Now that is funny! I would guess that the system did not like the hardware or some driver.
ABB has been using 2k for many years and has run sp2 despite there being a sp4 released. Just because their policy did not allow it. They where and still are very strict about what they allow on their different machines because they spent a lot of time and money testing and evaluet different setups and programs. That way the systems where rock solid and nearly never had any problems.
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2008, 03:51:56 AM »
Ok, I've been reading this and remained silent up until now. At this point I have to get involved and set some things straight.
I've had more years then I can count running operating systems most of you have never heard of, as per this thread, my involvement will last for my one post.

Linux is a much more stable platform in comparison to windows. - This is undeniable, if you wish to argue the inverse, you have no quantifiable evidence to do so, and your making it up.

I think Mach 3 is excellent software. It is nothing more then a total shame that its not yet compiled for Linux. If my words have any effect on mach 3 software programmers, i hope for nothing more then a linux version in the very near future. It is nothing more then humorous the number of people who go on about "Free this free that getting your ball screws for free" in regards to using free software packages. The recourse to this is "Hey wouldn't it be great if we had to pay for every breath we took." That would probably make microsoft happy, patenting the act of breathing.

Hate to burst you bubble here friend but open source free software is out there, and is very good, the problem is people who are too narrow minded to even try it. People are mostly un-aware of how good this stuff really is, and thats one of the major reasons microsoft dominates, to "Scare" people off open source OS's in the fear "you can't get programs for them". I have not yet encountered a program I cannot make run under linux, however something that my cnc is relying on I'd prefer to be written by the professionalss rather then just running WINE. (Which may work haven't tried it yet)

I will close in saying that the only down side to making a linux version of mach 3 is that there isn't one.
I think you'll find most people have the choice between running Mach 3 on windows or linux will find Mach 3 far more appealing knowing they can walk away without fear of a "donk" error from some background bull-**** that windows is doing without the operators knowledge.
Linux for the win guys, its more professional, safer, more reliable, more powerful and hey its free. Something on all counts microsoft will never be able to contend with.
Regards,
Irvs, J.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 06:31:14 AM by Irvs.j »

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2008, 09:46:58 AM »
Linux is a much more stable platform in comparison to windows. - This is undeniable, if you wish to argue the inverse, you have no quantifiable evidence to do so, and your making it up.

And Bill Gates is the Anti-Christ, blah blah blah. If you think Linux is the greatest thing since sliced tofu go get a copy of EMC and have at it.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2008, 10:06:24 AM »
That defeats the purpose Jeff. Artsoft have a wonderful powerful program at their disposal, one which I happily paid for.
I am going to have a crack at it in WINE in the next day or two and post my results.
 In the short term I can actually run windows as a virtual machine to run the artsoft software.

- It IS the best thing since sliced tofu, and grated cheese too :)

Its not about bill gates being the anti-christ, this comment makes no sence.
Its a commercial and corporate abomination, which is probably why so many states and companies are suing the crap out of microsoft right now, manly for their complete disrespect for your american laws. Like the Sherman Antitrust, Tunny and Clayton Acts. Remember the law is the law, otherwise what the hell good is it if you can just afford to buy your way out of it, something that microsoft intended to do and are now being sued by several state governments.
This is where long term (And this includes me) microsoft users are in fact their own worst enemy. You're in your comfort zone, so how can something thats free actually be better? Answer is simply, cause there are many, many people out there who are jack of microsoft, and decided to do something about it.

The fact is there is no reason why it shouldn't run on linux with a simple WINE or Virtual machine if you have windows as well.
For the person that started this thread...

Copy all of your windows system32 directory to your linux wine/system32 directory. Any of the .dll files mach 3 use (If any in there) will help WINE run it without too many problems. Give it a try I'll be a few days yet till i get through my exams. Otherwise just run a virtual machine if you have windows installed on the same machine for now.
Regards,
I.j

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2008, 10:41:25 AM »
I just don't understand the 'MicroSoft Sucks' mentality. Nor do I think that Linux is inherently better than Windows. They both have their good and bad points.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline Whacko

•  239 239
  • Happy Days
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2008, 01:20:06 PM »
Irvs, J. they say different strokes for different folks. I can't speak for the originators of this software, but my opinion is that there is a place for all. Mach3 is a windows based app, to port it to python or other dev platform is no small task. Why don't you head over to linuxCNC.org and you will have a similar product. Mach3 has plug in dev. using the common object model, which is already generous. The small fee to pay for Windows OS is really nothing compared to what you can do with it. In fact, Microsoft support is by far superior and the wealth of information and tools available at MSDN is a dream to any software developer. In case you wondered, I have been programming in various OS environments since 1978, and I am not as such a fan of any OS or dev platform. What matters is the short time us humans live and how much we would like to achieve in that time. It's all about time, money and productivity.

Whacko for real!
Nothing's impossible
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2008, 01:18:39 AM »
I've been reading this forum about Linux, and all I can say is if you like linux so much, get a a Centroid or an Ajax control , or emc for free. "You get what you pay for" I've got one vertical mill running on Ajax, and yes it works good, but it should for what I paid for it all, but then again it's very limited. file size, subs, text, mirror, scale, they are all options ,and not cheap. What do you pay for any Autodesk, Mastercam, Solid works? BIG BUCKS. 

Mazak is still selling machines running on windows 98.   Win 2000 pro and XP pro are the best operating systems out there. Vista is another story. >:( 2 or more steps backwards. Of course , if you use your machines computer for a bunch of other programs , you'll probably have problems. I'm personally setting up xp pro and a cam program, nothing else.

I must say one more thing.  Art has to be one hell of a guy. Mach 3 for only $160.00 . That's giving it away. Anyone using it, I'll bet would have paid a lot more for it. BUT I hope he don't raise the price now till I get my lic. :D
 Ed V
Ed VanEss