Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:40:04 AM

Author Topic: We need Linux port  (Read 25206 times)

vmax549

Re: We need Linux port
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2008, 11:17:07 AM »
Really there would be no point in porting MACH for linux. You would just have EMC????? WHat would be the point. MOST people including ME haven't a clue as to how to run linux in native form WITHOUT a proper frontend.

Windows already has that frontend.  I would bet to say that you will NEVER see MACH in linux form. SO you might want to get cracking on the emc version soon. THe emc group does have several options as to front ends for EMC take your pick.

(;-)TP
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2008, 09:40:29 PM »
Funny this topic should come alive today. Brian is at the CNC workshop, where among other activities the annual 'emcfest' is in full swing. There were several conversations today with lots of EMC and Mach folks.

EMC has a really nifty 5 axis mill running with full kinematics. Mach has both a mill and lathe running with tool changers.

A good time is being had by all!
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2009, 03:02:25 PM »
Hello All:   I'm new here, but first let me say that I like what I see regarding the trial download of Mach3.  My only reservation is that it runs under Windoze . . .just an awful, awful excuse for an operating system.   I've read the caveats regarding the interaction of Windoze's interrupts, conflicts with networking services, internal clocking, etc. and that's what concerns me.   As for a Linux port, to me Linux is just another "unix" with a gooie.   I would prefer a port to a unix platform like FreeBSD where we can do some kernel configuration, and generally have open access to the OS.     Having worked as an applications programmer/analyst for over thirty years, I DO understand that you just can't simply take pages of (an assumption) C++ code and recompile it on a different OS architecture and expect it to work; never the less, it would be more secure and stable on a unix platform . . .just my two cents.    (. . .and I know that EMC is out there, too.)

Offline Whacko

•  239 239
  • Happy Days
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2009, 04:42:15 PM »
Hey, didn't you know that Mach and EMC share a common origin?
Stop "Bashing" about it, anyone can get hold of the original EMC and write a GUI for it. Anyone?? Where's everyone gone then?
Moral of the story, beggars can't be choosers...
Nothing's impossible
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2009, 08:54:07 AM »
Actually, no, I didn't know that Mach and EMC have a common origin.   Like I said, (on a need to know basis) I'm new to the actual process of CNC programming.   I've googled and found some info on EMC and apparently Ubuntu's real-time kernel is a recommended (unix) platform . . .also read some reports of crash problems with it.   Thanks for the heads-up.   

BTW, several years ago, I was working with an associate who commented "Is it really real-time if an instruction is sent to the Voyager satellite and it responds two hours later?"   ;)

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2009, 11:59:21 AM »
Well, you have to define what 'real-time' is. and if your Bill Clinton you also have to define what 'is' is.  :P

Loosely speaking 'Real-time' could be taken to mean that the information was available in a timely enough manner to be able to make a decision based on that information and act on it ,effecting the outcome. In other words the information is deterministic and timely so that the control loop can be respond quickly enough to have an effect on the situation.

As for a Linux port of mach all I can say is BAH! If *nix is your thing then EMC is for you. If you want a CNC control that just works and lets you make parts without all the headaches and heartaches of dealing with *nix then mach is for you.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline Whacko

•  239 239
  • Happy Days
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2009, 12:35:20 PM »
I am running both EMC2 and Mach3, must say I like them both. Also no crashes from either of the two. I must be doing something right then. ;)
Nothing's impossible
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2009, 01:38:09 PM »
What *nix are you running EMC on?  As I've previously mentioned, I've read that Ubuntu is a choice.  I've searched the FreeBSD forums and haven't found any references regarding running EMC on the same.  The reason I'm interested in a "unix" platform is because I'm much more comfortable and confident of *nix OS'es.   I think it's fair to say that Windoze comes with a lot of overhead.  On the other hand, I've got FreeBSD installed on a 540mb hard-drive that is only about 60% utilized (user files are on a separate 200 gb drive).  I know that "unix" has a learning curve, but it's certainly much easier to administrate once you get over the hump.  In defense of Windoze, it IS an easier install. but after the install, I think I'd double check to make sure that it didn't install or otherwise auto configure anything to poll for "thing to do" while you're not looking.   ;)

I've read the Mach3 PDF manual regarding installation on Windoze, and the caveats about certain Windoze services, interrupts, conflict with networking, etc. are what concern me.  If I install Mach3 on a Windoze box, I will dedicate the box to Mach -- no active network; very few aps such as virius scanners/firewalls, etc. running in the background; won't be doing any word-processing; no flight simulator; no scheduled programs to wake up and look for a mouse driver update, etc.   Essentially I'd do the same with a *nix based system; however, with a *nix OS, I can fine tune the kernel, and easily configure the OS via the various unix config files, etc.   This latter scenario is something that is very difficult to do with Windoze.  Microsoft does not share much regarding kernel tuning and other nuances of the OS.

vmax549

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2009, 03:40:43 PM »
That is an advantage of running a buffered system( mach) most small things do NOT bother mach at all it goes about its merry way. ONLY a major time hog (quicktime type) causes problems. AND if you are trying to machine a part and watch a movie at the same time there is NO hope for you anyway(;-)

We have Mach running with networks without a problem, but you can;t hop out and go shopping on ebay and except mach to be happy. Mach is a CNC machine controller NOT a magic do everything BOX and it does CNC controlling very very well.

Best $175 you will ever spend in CNC controls.   BETCHA(;-)

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2009, 06:23:03 PM »
Essentially I'd do the same with a *nix based system; however, with a *nix OS, I can fine tune the kernel, and easily configure the OS via the various unix config files, etc.   This latter scenario is something that is very difficult to do with Windoze.  Microsoft does not share much regarding kernel tuning and other nuances of the OS.

You can do it with this.
http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html