Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:02:07 AM

Author Topic: Mach3Turn Offsets?  (Read 42275 times)

Re: Mach3Turn Offsets?
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2013, 05:41:19 PM »
maybe in about 20 or 30 years time we will have a new updated Mach3Turn

A new version of lathe, devoid of all problems...
RICH
Yabbut, then what would Hood do on those long, cold Scottish nights without us'ns to baby sit?
Milton from Tennessee ya'll.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2013, 06:32:57 PM »
I would be having fun doing CSS ;)
Hood
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2013, 10:09:10 AM »
Well Hood,

I got the lathe Running perfectly. I did change to ver 57. That helped the selection of the tool in the DRO issue like you said it would do. I was not doing the right procedure for setting up offsets. Once I followed your video, everything fell into place. I am able to make my parts with 5 tools including a thread operation for the last tool. Works Great!!!!!  Now, you mentioned that you would be setting up a vid on how to set offsets with hard stops as the machine zero.
That is my next task, to set up hard stops for Z and X. Let me know when you have made that vid tutorial. I would be very interested in setting my machine this way. It is exactly how we do it at work with the big uns.

Thanks for you advice.
Martyondrums

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2013, 10:29:50 AM »
Glad you are sorted :) shame it needs going backwards to an old version though :(

Regarding the video, it will be basically the same except I will be using home switches as my master position and setting tools up from that, its the way I do it on the big lathe. May get a chance to do a vid this weekend but not promising as I want to try and get on with some wiring on the Chiron.
Hood
« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2013, 11:34:37 AM »
You guys please keep this thread active & alive with your learned discussion & videos.  I read every word and watch every video that comes up on the subject.

Maybe by the time I get through phartin' around with the hardware on my lathe I'll have soaked up enough tool offset info by osmosis that I can get my front & back toolholder system working.  Miracles do happen....sometimes.::)
Milton from Tennessee ya'll.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2013, 11:54:25 AM »
You guys please keep this thread active & alive with your learned discussion & videos.  I read every word and watch every video that comes up on the subject.

Maybe by the time I get through phartin' around with the hardware on my lathe I'll have soaked up enough tool offset info by osmosis that I can get my front & back toolholder system working.  Miracles do happen....sometimes.::)

;D

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2013, 01:34:45 PM »
Do the offsets on tool one reflect the distance from machine zero or are they still all zeros?

Offline Leeway

•  149 149
    • View Profile
    • LeeWay Workshop, LLC
« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2013, 01:45:44 PM »
The tool table reflects my offset travel in each direction. It has the actual distance loaded in the tool tables from zero.
However, if you are at the tools offset and hit that tool number, it will show zero. A bit confusing, but it makes sense. Stay at your main tools zero and then pull up different tool numbers. You should see the offsets appear in the DRO's.
Lee

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2013, 01:54:15 PM »
If setting up without home switches and using tool 1 as your master tool then machine coords can basically be anything. If you have home switches and use the home switches as machine coords zero then all tools will be offset from them.
Hood
« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2013, 01:27:10 PM »
So what you are saying, if the machine is set up to bump the hard switches and set the X and Y to Zero, then all my offets (even tool 1) will show distances from the zero points to the touch off points. Not like now where Tool #1 is all zeros. This will be represendted in the X and Y boxes in the offset page correct. If this is true, why can't the samethng be done with tool #1 even with out the switches? Is there something that happens when you tell mach to use auto home? Is that treated differently? I tried setting my home positions the same as my machine positions and still needed to set tool#1 offsets to zero on the offset screen. I guess I will have to set up switches today and try it. Have a good weekend.
Marty