Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:35:34 PM

Author Topic: Mach3Turn Offsets?  (Read 42267 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3Turn Offsets?
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2011, 06:13:37 PM »
Actually this might be better, this is my last attempt before I have the dongle so if it doesnt work it will be tomorrow night before I can try again.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2011, 05:22:43 AM »
Just tested it here and it seems to be doing what its meant to, previous ones I had commented out some lines but used the Mach way of commenting and forgot the PP uses a different method.

Anyway see if it works like it should and if not let me know whats wrong. BTW I have it set for Turret 2 toolchange position which I think is the default for front turret in Dolphin, if its the opposite way on yours let me know and I will change that, only take a few secnds for that :)

Hood

Offline Leeway

•  149 149
    • View Profile
    • LeeWay Workshop, LLC
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2011, 11:07:26 AM »
Thanks a bunch.
That one works much better.
The one with all the errors still spit out the code and it didn't look bad.
The drilling routines are much smoother now without the G83 as well.

I ordered a new camera. I have had this one for nearly 8 years now. Needed an update. Just bought a little Kodak for less than $50. Supposed to have hi def video and 12.3 MP.
I'll shoot some video with that when it comes in.
The old one is a Vivitar. The shutter covers flopped around all the time and a few other things were starting to fail as well.
Video never did work right. Only started recording sound a few years back.
It was time. ;)
Lee

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2011, 11:30:35 AM »
Ok thats good, is there anything else thats not working correctly as I might manage to change it. Not great at stuff like this but did manage to get mine working a lot better for the twin turret lathe I have.
Hood

Offline Leeway

•  149 149
    • View Profile
    • LeeWay Workshop, LLC
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2011, 12:00:14 PM »
I intend to goof around with the fixture tables just to wrap my head around them.
I'll let you know, but right now, it spits out pretty good code.
If my drills were set in the positive, I would not have to adjust the code at all.
I ban slice off a bit if I wanted. I think I may do that anyway.
As it stands, the way I have it setup, there are no negative X moves. Everything is done in the + side. Parting stops at zero, but everything is bored through, so doesn't really need to cut that close.
Working great now.

I am going top give my brain a break though. Who said the old dog new trick thing was true? It ain't. Not that old, but ain't no spring chicken either. :)
Thanks again for all the fantastic help from every. Especially Hood.
I will still post a video link in this thread when I get it done. I like to see threads that work out in the end. Makes them well worth the read and effort involved to document the issues.
Lee

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2011, 02:41:07 PM »
Look forward to the vid :)
Hood

Offline Leeway

•  149 149
    • View Profile
    • LeeWay Workshop, LLC
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2011, 06:51:40 PM »
I still have some fine tuning to do to the code to get it to rapid in on the drilling. I got carried away with the zoom on this camera as well.
My other would not zoom in video mode.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nNCWBqJOPU
Lee

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2011, 10:46:18 AM »
Looks like its working well, bit of vibration due to amount sticking out the chuck on the first part but looks like the surface finish is fine so no probs :)

Regards the pecking, your PP is set up I think to have it as a canned cycle, that is broken in Turn so wont rapid back in, I altered my PP to make Dolphin calc in long hand rather than canned, load this and see if its better for you, the options in Dolphin should now work for drilling cycles and the code should be long hand rather than canned.
Hood

Offline Leeway

•  149 149
    • View Profile
    • LeeWay Workshop, LLC
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2011, 12:30:18 PM »
Thanks for that. When you said long hand previously, I did it really long hand. ;)
The first video I showed is as the drill code is produced from DT.

I will attach a screenshot of how I set that up to cut in DT.

Then in the code it produced, I modified it for this second video.
After a drill cycle and a retract, I would copy and paste that depth on the next line with a G00 instead of G01. Then from there it would feedrate drill the next step. Pretty quick to actually do. Makes the cycle a lot cleaner and faster.
That is finished code for my production parts.
Here is the link to video 2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2nH1NWm4dg

Next up will be some actual profile turnings probably in aluminum. Brass ain't cheap. :)

I also trued up my chuck before that video and reset my motor drive acc. It is a little smoother. This lathe is actually pretty light and not bolted down yet. I knew I had to move it soon.
The chuck in the first video was out by .003". Thats a good bit and think it happened during the few crashes it encountered. :(

It is now set at .0005". I can live with that.
Lee

Offline Leeway

•  149 149
    • View Profile
    • LeeWay Workshop, LLC
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2011, 02:03:47 PM »
Okay!
I think I have seen the error of my ways. ;)

Setting the offsets in DT was fine while they remained constant. However, tools wear. Setups change just a hair even with temperatures. I noted that before and thought it wouldn't change that drastically, right.
Well I loaded up the mill screen to fine tune my steps per inch. I only bettered them by a fraction, but it was enough to throw off my prefectly set offsets. :(

No problem if you are doing them in M3T and using the tool tables. Then you just set each by touching and that adjusts the tools offsets for you. Then you could use the same code, providing you didn't let Dolphin Turn handle them all. ;)

Okay then. All a wash at this point.
Redoing it all now to see how it all works out.
I'll holler.
Lee