Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:30:52 AM

Author Topic: Mach3Turn Offsets?  (Read 42247 times)

Offline Leeway

•  149 149
    • View Profile
    • LeeWay Workshop, LLC
Mach3Turn Offsets?
« on: January 23, 2011, 04:04:44 PM »
Trying to finally setup my lathe using Turn instead of mill.
I normally use 3 tools on the lathe. A parting tool that I also turn my profile with. It is on a QCTP. I set machine 0 with this.
Then I use a spot drill.
Next is a drill bit.
Question is when I have setup all my tool tables with the correct offsets, do I then need to use the same offsets on tools in my Cam software?
Dolphin Turn.
It seems a little redundant to me.

Also, what would be the file name for my XML in Mach 3 Turn?
I looked, but it wasn't really apparent to me.
Thanks in advance.
Lee

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3Turn Offsets?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 05:33:46 PM »
Yes, the numbers in the tool table are actually the offsets, so for example T0101 would be tool 1 offset 1, you can have any offset you wish (up to 99) called with a tool number, but obviously it needs to correspond to what you have set in the table for that tool.
What I mean by that may be better explained by my screenshot, that shows the tool numbers with their associated offsets, this is because I have two turrets on my lathe with 6 positions in each turret. The front turret has quick change holders so I have a lot of tools set up in holders ready to place there and thus I have many offsets for these tool positions.

In Dolphin the offset number will default to the same as the tool number so if you have the offsets and tool numbers the same then there is no need to do anything but if they are different like a lot of mine are then you need to enter the offset value in when you load a tool, its done Via the X offset value, I have attached a screenshot showing the tool number and offset and the code as it comes out, its T0921 my internal threading tool.

The xml will have the name of the profile you are using, if its the standard lathe one it will be Mach3Turn.xml, if its a custom one then it will have the name of what you called it.

Hood

Offline Leeway

•  149 149
    • View Profile
    • LeeWay Workshop, LLC
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 08:36:48 AM »
Great info and a big help especially with the screen shots. Thanks a bunch for this. I have another question.

What post processor are you using in Dolphin?
Thanks again.
Lee

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 09:00:05 AM »
I am using one I made up to suit my twin turret setup. I basically took the Mach one and altered it quite a bit, this is the changes I made.

:T2 = {
      Changes include:
                Toolchange position is for turret in use and not turret that is next.
                Threading changed to G76 rather than G32
                Coolant is dependant on tool used
                M5 will be issued befor M3/M4  if spindle is to be reversed
                Modality  has been changed so that code is only written if position will change
                Arcs are reversed if front turret is in use
                X values negated if front turret in use
                Drill cycles now produced long hand rather than canned cycles
                G90.1 inserted in preamble

}   
        :T3 = {
      Changed threading Rules for both External and Internal to produce correct thread
                height from nominal and pitch dimensions. For external it is the nominal value for
                the thread that is used for start and end points. eg M12 is 12mm and for Internal it is the nominal minus
                the pitch, eg M12 would be 12 - 1.75 = 10.25

Hood
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 09:04:14 AM by Hood »

Offline Leeway

•  149 149
    • View Profile
    • LeeWay Workshop, LLC
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 10:17:51 AM »
Thanks again.
Things are looking up here now.
It threw an error in the code because I was using diameter post in radius mode.
At least I think so.
Changing it fixed it.

One more simple question.
I have it setup now so that when I jog with the up key from 0, the x moves into -.  The Z is like the arrow keys work with left being -.

Is that correct for a lathe?
I know some guys and machines code them a bit different.
Lee

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 10:29:23 AM »
You can have the keys which ever way you wish but my preference is up arrow is positive, then again I have the rear turret as the default turret so it makes sense for me. Having said that I never use the jog keys for jogging, I use the MPG for that.

If you need a hand with changing the post processor in any way I can try and help, not great at VB and such but will try.
Hood

Offline Leeway

•  149 149
    • View Profile
    • LeeWay Workshop, LLC
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 11:01:07 AM »
Sounds good to me. Thanks.
I just have a gang tool setup. Kinda.
I do have a QCTP that I use and it is at the front of my X table. Behind it I have two positions for drilling or boring. I can also do that with the QCTP, but I like to have the three tools I need on there at once so no tool changes.
So far, it is all working on the computer.
I will hook it up to the lathe and try it out later.
Thanks again. Fingers crossed. ;)
Lee

Offline Leeway

•  149 149
    • View Profile
    • LeeWay Workshop, LLC
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 07:52:43 PM »
There are a couple things that I have noticed about the post. It won't set the zero before a tool number when it is a single digit tool number.
That isn't a problem any longer. I just redid my tools and offset to start with 11 and go from there.

It also does some reference move and I have no idea why it puts that in there. It moves X back 1.96 and change. Something with a G28. Not a problem though. It's going the right way when it does it.

Other than that, the posts are coming out good when I tell the DT what it needs. I struggled with DT for some time previously and just left t alone a few times.
After looking through documentation for Lazy Turn, Dolphin became simpler to operate as well.

I have to blame Microsoft too though on some of it.
I have to run DT in XP mode. Another work around, but hey, once you know it it's all good. Thanks again for the help.
Lee

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 03:21:26 AM »
Not sure what you mean about the zero before the tool number, the PP I have does, maybe you are using the Mach2 one as I think tool numbers were called  in a mill type fasion in it. With mine if I call tool3 offset 3 it will produce T0303.

Dont get any G28's in mine either, I have attached the standard Mach3 PP that I had, see if thats the same.

Hood

Offline Leeway

•  149 149
    • View Profile
    • LeeWay Workshop, LLC
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 09:36:31 AM »
I figured out the offset move. I misspoke on the axis. It is Z that moves to safe Z that I set in DT. That is actually good, since my drills that are offset just a bit past the cutter 0, so the safe travel is what I was looking for.
I am attaching an amended code that I modified. Mods are in ().
Every one of my bushings will use this exact drilling routine, so that part I can cut and paste. It is only the profiles that will change.

Today I cannot get Mach3turn to even post any tool numbers.
It did so last night, but not today. That is weird.
I am using the latest version of Mach 3. Version R3.043.022
I am using Mach blue turn for the screen, but that shouldn't matter.
I can try the latest lock down version if you think it might help.

I also noticed that Mach 3 screen doesn't handle offsets very well. ;) This little bushing shows up looking much like a wagon wheel mounted on an axle. Not a problem though. Just a mention.

Thanks for wanting to help with this.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 09:38:08 AM by Leeway »
Lee