Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:04:06 PM

Author Topic: incresing speed on stepper motors  (Read 28048 times)

Re: incresing speed on stepper motors
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2011, 02:32:26 PM »
And I do understand that I need to upgrade some components which is why I was asking. I can now start making a list of what I need compared to what I have and start budgeting for better quality parts. :)
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2011, 02:46:05 PM »
You really need to start by defining what performance you're looking for, then characterizing your machine to determine what's needed from the motors/drives to achieve that.  In other words, you need to actually DESIGN the machine, not just bolt and wire together a bunch of random parts.  You need to know your max desired rapid speed, your max desired cutting speed (which is heavily affected by cut depth/width/material), and you need to MEASURE the torque required to move each axis, and the calculate or measure the inertia of each axis, when carrying maximum load.  From that you can calculate the required motor performance, which allows you to select proper motors, drivers, and power supplies to achieve the desired result.  Simply bolting on parts without doing this design work is not likely to do much more than waste a whole lotta time and money.  There are no shortcuts to getting a reliable, high-performance machine.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2011, 02:54:24 PM »
Ray -
I understand there is no shortcut. I have been focusing on the machine build and take advantage on what electronics I had first etc... I have a really nice build that I am happy with and now I am ready to try and upgrade to better electronics.

And YES I do need to plan it etc. but at the same time I am asking the questions so I can figure that part out now. I am ready to figure out what I need to get the performance I am looking for, but need help on helping me understand on how to do that.

Even though I have been experimenting with CNC for a while does not mean I understand everything or even much at all. I need help understand how to plan for what I want so I can effectively do that. I need to figure out what I need so I can figure out how much will it cost so I can save and eventually get those higher quality items.

Thanks!!!
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2011, 04:31:19 PM »
Thanks to everyone for all the help!

With everything I learned so far and still have a lot to learn to go. I made some changes to my settings and did improve the travel speed of the x and y axis. I am now cutting another sign and this time the cutting time has been improved and no burn marks in the wood. With the cutter moving as slow as it was before I kept getting burn marks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyqJJrzqzFI

THANKS!!!!!! :)

Now I need to figure out what I need in better quality electronics and motors and get to that next level of happiness with my machine. :)

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2011, 04:45:44 PM »
Ian -
What is single coil?
It's where you just use one coil from each phase and ignore the other, rather than connect the two coils in series or parallel. However I just re-checked your PS specs and I'm afraid you don't even have the amps for that! (never mind the volts). It would have given you kind of mid-way performance between serial and parallel if you like. But - as I say - you can't even do that with your setup.

I agree with everything that's been said here. In brief, I'd be looking at new screws (higher lead), new PS, new drivers and new motors.

Sorry

Ian
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2011, 04:49:34 PM »
That's ok though. that's why i am posting - I am ok with replacing those items it's just getting and understand what I need so I do it one time and not multiple.

For when I do upgrade -
How would I hook the motors to be single coil?

I am making notes of all of these things.
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2011, 04:56:50 PM »
I want to add a 4th axis so that is why I figured the Gecko 540 was the better choice for me. If there is something else I should consider, please let me know.

with that said what should be the minimum power supply requirements should I be looking into?

Everyone has posted me upgrading my motors to something other than keling. What should I be saving for and should I go with Nema 34's instead of 23's?

Thanks
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2011, 06:03:21 PM »
Another example of what type of cutting I am doing -

http://celticmachining.blogspot.com/2011/01/cnc-inside-sign-finished.html

:)
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2011, 06:18:42 PM »
That's ok though. that's why i am posting - I am ok with replacing those items it's just getting and understand what I need so I do it one time and not multiple.

For when I do upgrade -
How would I hook the motors to be single coil?

I am making notes of all of these things.

Don't.  Pick your motors and drivers, and design your power supply, so you can run bipolar parallel.  If you do it right, that will give you the best overall performance.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2011, 06:31:23 PM »
Thanks!

What motors and power supply should I get to go with the Gecko 540? And should I look at Nema 34's instead of the 23's or are the 23's fine?

Thanks!