Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:26:14 PM

Author Topic: Wiring Limit & Home Switch  (Read 21977 times)

Re: Wiring Limit & Home Switch
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 08:05:48 AM »
Today, the recommendation is earth all metal really well and ground both ends of the shield.

Brtec,

I would be grateful if you could tell me your source for the recommendation to ground both ends of the shield.

Tweakie.
Hi Tweakie, this is from an AB drive manual regarding an auxiliary encoder application. (5vdc)
Sort of confusing, I've seen somewhere, where both ends connected can cause a loop and never really drain.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 08:51:04 AM »
Thanks Russ, I think Brtec is getting confused between 'earth' and 'ground' which are essentially and should be treated as two separate circuits.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 09:10:41 AM »
Thanks Russ, I think Brtec is getting confused between 'earth' and 'ground' which are essentially and should be treated as two separate circuits.

Tweakie.

I'm confused too LOL, so what is the difference between "earth" and "ground"?

To me they are both the same but then again I'm probably wrong
Nicolas
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 09:42:45 AM »
I will admit to still getting myself accustomed to this new strategy, but a very good buddy of mine has been telling me that it's now the only way to achieve FCC B in modern computer systems or even embedded systems, which he works on.

One interesting read is:
http://www.automation.siemens.com/do.../emv_r.pdf?p=1

chapter 6 I believe.

The old problem with grounding both ends was that if you didn't correctly tie earth ground to the frame of the enclosure, and have a proper star ground inside the frame, then you would get a current in the shield due to unequal potential between the two ground points.  The new advice is to make sure you do tie the frames to good earth ground, so that there is no possibility of current flow through the shields.

While "earth" and "ground" are different, the advice is to make sure they are at the same potential everywhere.  If you do, you don't have to treat them as separate.
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 11:57:53 AM »
Hi hope its ok to break in to this thread? I have simple HCNC using 2 limit switches each on x,y,x cause there is much noise that is activating the switches. I got RS 2 conductor 24ga shielded cable and want to wire them properly. How to utilize the two wires in the cable?
Thanks
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 01:41:51 PM »
Am using a SS
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 02:10:38 PM »
How many inputs will you use.  Let's assume 3, one each for X, Y and Z.

Wire the "far" end to the two wires.  Wire the "near end" by breaking into the outer cable, grab one of the wires, cut it, and attach the two cut ends to the switch.  Doesn't matter which wire.  This is for a Normally Closed (NC) switch.  At the SS, wire one side of each of the 3 cables to ground, and the other wire to the SS input.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 02:11:32 PM »
Check out the noise thread on the SS part of the forum and see if your SS has the resistor and capacitor.
Hood
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 09:52:31 AM »
Do you have a diagram of wiring the 6 limit switches using shielded cable with 2 conductors w one end grounded thanks
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 10:03:52 AM »
How many inputs will you use?  1 or 3?