Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:10:33 PM

Author Topic: unexplained stop during program  (Read 11663 times)

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
Re: unexplained stop during program
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 02:52:04 PM »
Steve,

Your machine looks fine.  Heh...  with the exception of the trackball.  :)  I just can't get used to those things!

Steve and Chris,

I'll get you both a new plugin this evening.  I have Steve's email.  So Chris, send me a PM with your email address.

This new plugin is working toward release 4.5.  It's pretty different as far as how it works internally and there may be bugs in it (MPG and homing code related), so I would not suggest running it full time.  But I would like to see if any of you can duplicate the lockup with this new plugin.  If you can duplicate the lockup, then it's a high probability that it's not the plugin and we need to start looking for things that might make Mach hiccup. 

What versions of Mach are you guys running?
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 03:30:36 PM »
mine says R3.042.04
steve

Offline Mogal

•  76 76
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 06:36:38 PM »
Same version R3.042.40
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 11:26:41 AM »
Steve,
   after trying the new plugin without success, i looked over the machine. i found the encoder position wires were shielded but not
grounded. i grounded them and tested further. i thought i had the problem beat , because the machine ran flawlessly for almost 2 hours running a 20 min program.
but sadly, the machine began to stop during the cycle randomly again. i called galil to get some info on how to check for errors logged in the control card.
Tc1,sc and a few others were mentioned, after looking  i dont see any reason why it should stop. i noticed that the wdsk program used to be able to run along side the mach software, now mach has
to be shut down before wsdk can see the control card.
  to keep it simple i used the wizzard to write a small keyway slot program, straight with no arcs. my machine even locked up during a liesurely 3ipm g1.
most frequently the machine just stops with the spindle still turning, less often the machine estops in the middle of a move, a very few times it stopped on a limit trigger(not sure which one)
i think im going to try another computer as i wanter to use a smaller form factor anyway.
is there anything i need to do to windows 7, other than the usual turning stuff off??

thanks steve

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2011, 06:23:30 PM »
Steve,

I sent you a new plugin to try.

Steve
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 06:23:53 PM »
any progress with this? we have one in uk doing exactly the same... pulling hair out trying to find it!
if its not broken yet, fit more gadgets!
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2011, 06:28:29 PM »
Hi, I'm having exactly the same problems on my router, I've got a 2160 with extended i/o running off an intel XP pro box with little else but Mach 3.042.40 installed.

It hangs in the middle of a program, spindle running, as though it's a feedhold, all servo drives enabled, sometimes Mach estops, sometimes just seems to hang, always needs a restart (otherwise next program run fails to start spindle).  It can run a file for several hours before doing this, or sometimes 10 mins.

Get "Galil lost connection" message usually. As mentioned by capsteve earlier (too many steves in this thread already!), thought all our previous comms dropout problems had been sorted when we found a broken screen in an encoder cable (noise, apparently), but still happening, albeit much less frequently. Going to reinstall on a fresh PC tomorrow.

Will try the 'start spindle, cylce start' workaround tomorrow too. Had the odd little hiccup which might shed light on it, such as today when homing, one axis just ran over both the home and limit switches, then when almost beyond the back end of the switch ramps, suddenly Mach lit both LEDs, as though it had dozed off for a second..

Battwell has done all my Mach setup, so I'm sure he'll be asking much more in-depth questions, but I just saw this thread tonight after a frustrating day and thought I'd pitch in!
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 06:29:55 PM »
any progress with this? we have one in uk doing exactly the same... pulling hair out trying to find it!

oh hello, cross-posted you!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 06:33:43 PM by steve_p »
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 06:48:59 PM »
my machine doesnt seem to do this! im using a galil 2280 which is 10-100 network if that maight make a difference. (it might do it if i run a long enough file but i had it running a 3d file yesterday for an hour which it completed perfectly)

steves machine is on the same version of mach as mine .040
steves machine does act differently to mine on a few points, the main one being it requires sleep command after everything in vb scripts or it can miss doing them! mine didnt appear to be that fussy.
also of note on steves machine is explained below.
its a cnc router , ac servo driven with encoder pulses passed through amps to the galil. the machine is capable of 65 metre rapiding speeds no problem.
the test files have been cutting 3d reliefs of differing sizes, differing resolutions etc.
of note was the file seems to run fine until it stops! after this it can be restarted only by resetting mach. however unless the galil is hard reset the next file then doesnt run straight. seems to add "steps " at the end of each pass which causes the once square relief to start running at an angle of approx 20 degrees.

if its not broken yet, fit more gadgets!
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 03:46:08 AM »
Any ideas on this random stopping problem yet? I was having several problems with my machine, so I tried replacing the 2160 with a 1750 I had on the shelf, and all my problems disappeared, apart from this one.

I previously wondered if it was an Ethernet issue, but it does the same thing with a bus controller. The 2160 was running off a custom
-made XP pc, non-onboard video gigabyte mobo, intel CPU,  nothing installed except Mach and galil stuff. The 1750 is in a brand new Advantech industrial pc chassis, intel,  4gb ram, again nothing except XP, Mach and smarterm installed. In both cases everything turned off (I think)- auto updates, power management, screen saver etc.

Several people seem to be experiencing it, any thoughts from Kenny/Smurph? Did Smurph's new plugin help? ( could I get a copy to try too, I need to run a 130-hour program this week!) thanks.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 03:50:37 AM by steve_p »