Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 04:16:28 PM

Author Topic: Metric Vs Imperial  (Read 8557 times)

Metric Vs Imperial
« on: November 14, 2006, 03:05:27 PM »
I am a new user and find the way Mach3 handles the units very confusing.  I wish you could switch between metric and imperial without messing with the tuning parameters or better still, when you set a global unit change, the motor tuning parameters would automatically change.  The fact is that I don't mess with motor tuning much.  Once these are set, they don't change that often.
However, I switch frequently from jobs that are metric based to imperial based jobs and vise versa frequently.  When I am in metric, I would like to see everything including the DRO, JOG, home positions, etc. in metric without messing with or restting the motor tuning parameters.  The same when I use the inch unit.
What's the best way of doing this with the current version of Mach3?

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Metric Vs Imperial
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 03:20:40 PM »
You should be able to go to the settings page and place in MM. I'm not sure what all it will change, but I know it will change the DROs.
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 05:37:37 PM »
Thanks for this.  Looks like this might work but I don't know the full implication of this yet.  In my case, the individual buttons don't work but the top toggle button switches between metric and inches without affecting the motor tuning selection.
--Jason

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 05:54:30 PM »
I don't think you will need to change the motor tuning. Try to dry run some code slow and see what it does.

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 07:22:14 AM »
The metric units seem to work for the Jog and DRO but the tools get all messed up.  I guess the tool diameters and offsets are always set in the units set for motor tuning???  If this is the case it is bizarre.  Can you please confirm this.
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 09:09:47 AM »
Just curious here.
Is there a way to tweak two differant XML's and pick which one to use when firing up Mach ?

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 09:52:54 AM »
I would love to try this but my machine is running as I type. I have read somewhere that Mach should be set up in in. or metric and left alone. If I were going to try it I would copy my XML and rename it something like
"My Mach3 XML" and create a short cut to this one also. I do know that in keygrabber you can set up other profiles. There is probably a way to do it that one of the smart guys will let us know about. If anybody has the balls to try it, let us know how it works out. ;D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 09:54:52 AM by Chaoticone »

Hood

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 02:08:00 PM »
Brett
 its easy enough, just start Mach with the Mach3 Icon, choose to make a profile and set it up in metric, call the profile MetricMach3 if you wish ;)
 Then next time you start Mach  you can choose either the metric or imperial profile.
Hood

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 02:56:30 PM »
Thanks Hood,
    I told everybody that one of the smart guys would have an answer for us. ;D

Hood

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 02:58:13 PM »
So do you not now feel embarrassed that you were wrong?
Hood