Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 12:07:02 PM

Author Topic: Can't get the spindle/pulley calibration figured out  (Read 16578 times)

Offline Vogavt

•  260 260
    • View Profile
Re: Can't get the spindle/pulley calibration figured out
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 03:56:33 PM »
On the output of the c11, there's a 0-10v connection that goes to the P2 pin on the controller board, the GND wire goes to the P3 pin.

Offline Vogavt

•  260 260
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 04:01:56 PM »
Okay something's really wrong here. I disabled the Joy stick plugin and closed Mach a few minutes ago and saved settings. I just restarted it and it gives me the error message, "no Shuttle detected of type selected". Looked at the config plugins and see that it's back.  Weird.

Offline Vogavt

•  260 260
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 04:13:11 PM »
I just checked it with the "current" (pun intended!) configuration and with the Mach spindle setting at 500 rpm, I get 7.5 volts.

In high gear I'm getting 3800 rpm at the spindle.  I don't really want to push the bearing much over this since it's supposedly rated for 2500 rpm (some say they will take up to 6000 rpm, but not sure about the plastic gears).

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 04:18:13 PM »
Ok from the reading I did the CNC4PC C11 has spindle control output on it, it should output between 0 and 10v depending on what speed you command. Have a look at page 18 of its manual.
Hood

Offline Vogavt

•  260 260
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 04:24:29 PM »
Ok from the reading I did the CNC4PC C11 has spindle control output on it, it should output between 0 and 10v depending on what speed you command. Have a look at page 18 of its manual.
Hood

So I'm okay there, but still can't figure out why my config changes aren't actually taking place.  Makes me wonder if I might need to reinstall Mach, which I don't really want to have to do unless necessary.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2011, 04:32:26 PM »
What config settings are you meaning, if the Velocity then I have explained why you can not set any higher.
From my reading of the CNC4PC manual this is what you want, ie when a full speed is commanded the pin puts out a pulse of 25KHz to the C11 which then converts that to 10v.
Hood

Offline Vogavt

•  260 260
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2011, 04:41:57 PM »
The fact the when I change the pulley ratio for either pulley I can't get a change in rpm at the spindle, i.e., the actual voltage going to the DC motor isn't being affected no matter what ratio I give it in the "Config - > Spindle Pulley" dialog.  I was assuming that when you make a change in the ratio, the actual spindle speed (more succinctly, the DC current going to the motor) would change based upon the ratios from the motor pulley size to the spindle pulley size.

The second oddity as stated earlier, is when I make a change in the plugins I'm not using (disabling Shuttle) and save settings I would also assume that however I've configured my plugins will stay that way even after closing the application and restarting.

Am I missing something here?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2011, 04:46:02 PM »
I am not sure how the ratio affects the actual output, it was my thinking that it was to  scale the input, ie your index pulse is on the motor but you have a reduction of 2:1 so if motor is turning at 1000 rpm the spindle would actually only be 500 so Mach would scale the index pulse by half and the reading in Mach would show what the spindle is actually doing rather than what the index pulses are.

I will have to go back and read what you are meaning regards plubins as I must have skirted over that.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2011, 04:51:26 PM »
Ok the shuttle message is normal, just goi to C:\Mach3\Plugins and delete the shuttle plugin or if you dont want to delete change the extension from dll to m3p. When you restart Mach you should not get the message any more.
Hood

Offline Vogavt

•  260 260
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2011, 05:20:57 PM »
Ok the shuttle message is normal, just goi to C:\Mach3\Plugins and delete the shuttle plugin or if you dont want to delete change the extension from dll to m3p. When you restart Mach you should not get the message any more.
Hood

I respectfully disagree. I would think that simply disabling the plugin would keep the error message from appearing. Oh well, I can certainly delete/rename the dll, but I'm not having issues with the others.  See attached.

I really need to figure out how to correctly set the speed at the spindle. I don't savy putting in bogus speeds in the G-Code to make it come out correctly at the tip of the spindle. There has to be a way to make this work.

Thanks for all your help so far,
Vogavt