Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:24:26 PM

Author Topic: Upgrade from 1.84 on lathe  (Read 14181 times)

Offline DAlgie

•  314 314
    • View Profile
    • Algie Composite Aircraft
Re: Upgrade from 1.84 on lathe
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 10:37:42 AM »
OK, after letting my lathe sit for a week and think about how it has wronged me and realise the error of it's ways I started it up again and it still doesen't get it. Actually I got my Lagun Allen bradley mill running and it's time to work on the lathe again. I rolled Windows XP back to an earlier time to just reload the old 1.84 version and guess what; it doesen't go either, same problem. Will try a couple of things now, need to open the drive up and see if the LEDs are lit for outputs etc.

Offline DAlgie

•  314 314
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 04:10:35 PM »
Well the mill is down now with an X axis excess lag error so it's time to try to get the lathe running again. I looked at the step and direction LEDs on the Sound Logic breakout board and they light up for direction one way and not for the other, all OK there, and the step lights are dimly lit as you try to jog so I believe there are actually steps being sent to the steppers. Remember, I hear a 'bonk' sound from the motors when I flick off the E stop and similar when I turn it back on, so I think there is something going there. Have to try to remember more about what goes on with the breakout board, I don't get 5VDC on the third connection for the Gecko output on the BOB, so I don't know there. Thing is, all I did was update the Mach software to a newer version, never touched anything electrically on the machine, and it was working Ok before that.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 04:14:07 PM »
Maybe your BOB requires an enable signal from Mach and its either come off or you dont have it set up.
Hood

Offline DAlgie

•  314 314
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2010, 05:30:13 PM »
Is there an enable setting in Mach I may have missed? I am impressed how the new version of mach used my XML, and I didn't have to do anything at all, it was all there from the start. However, maybe switching from such an old version, 1.84, to a new one, 3.42, might have new settings in it that the XML doesn't have in it's old code. Anything I could look at there you might think of?

Offline DAlgie

•  314 314
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2010, 06:17:55 PM »
Yay, it works!! I originally had the step and direction pulse in motor tuning set at 2, I bumped those to 5 and off it went. A more noticable 'bonk' when you power up the Geckos as well. I seemed to remember that you should keep those settings low if you can so I tried them at 3 and it didn't work so I went to 4 on them all and it was happy there. Strange how that would be different for an upgrade, Mach must have different pulsing somehow. Also noticed that when I home the machine, when it comes to the limit switches, the home off movement is sort of different, it homes off, then slows down, them moves a bit more before stopping.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2010, 07:25:11 PM »
Glad to hear you are going.
Regards the homing, what do you have set as a debounce interval on General Config page?
Hood

Offline DAlgie

•  314 314
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2010, 10:44:40 AM »
Have a debounce interval set at 300. Have odd backlash movement as well as the home off movement, as in the earlier post, it accelerates, then slows down, then accelerates again in a sort of two speed move. Once you get past that and stop jogging, and jog again in the same direction, it moves normally.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2010, 10:52:36 AM »
Its more than likely the backlash needing redone, as although I have never  used, it I believe there have been changes since the old version you had.

Hood

Offline DAlgie

•  314 314
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2010, 01:01:20 PM »
I checked the backlash and the same setting still seem to be right. Just does some odd things when jogging, does not seem to do that when in a program. Another problem now, the spindle speeds are wrong, it shows 167 rpm when it is doing 500, I went in and got rid of any other ranges and set the min and max the spindle will do, no difference. I tried changing the spindle debounce all directions and no difference there either. Spindle speeds would be my main problem now, can't do any threading till I fix that, which was the original reason for upgrading to this version in the first place. Thanks for hanging in there with me Hood.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2010, 02:36:34 PM »
Is it the spindle control or the spindle reading or both thats wrong? Are you using the Index input or the Timing input?
Hood