Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 12:52:38 AM

Author Topic: Mach3 + Laser with TTL Inputs  (Read 5846 times)

Mach3 + Laser with TTL Inputs
« on: November 07, 2006, 05:47:02 PM »
On the internet there are a few people who are controlling CO2 Lasers with Mach2 / Mach3.   These laser power supplies have a 5+ volt TTL inputs which tell them when to turn on/off. 

Can anyone explain how they're sending these signals?  As an example when you move from one cut to another the laser needs to turn off and then back on. Otherwise all of your rapid movements would leave a visible laser mark.

All I can figure out is to cue off the Z axis movement which I know is wrong.  I was told that people may use the spindle for controlling the laser TTL inputs but not sure how that works?  I thought in spindle control it would just turn on when you hit start and run until the complete job was finished which wouldn't work for controlling a laser.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm wanting to buy my first laser and work it with Mach3 but can't figure out how to accomplish that one step on controlling the lasers TTL inputs..

Offline chad

•  361 361
  • When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 + Laser with TTL Inputs
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 06:18:27 PM »
There is an option for 2.5d on z in the settings menu, I believe that is what this is for.

I have a 40w 808nm fiber diode array and have been thinking about making an atachment for my mill i just haven't gotten around to it.

Keep us updated..

Chad
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 06:48:18 PM »
Excellent info...  Now if I can figure out the next step.

I found the 'Z is 2.5D on Output #6' in the State settings under the Config pull down menu.   

Any idea on how to implement this?  And does Output #6 mean?  I wonder if Output #6 ties to the LPT1 port or what..

On the laser you have does it use a + and - for the TTL input on the power supply?  Or is it just a 5V+ input.

Offline chad

•  361 361
  • When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 07:43:19 PM »
Think of output 6 as a place holder.
Go to ports and pins> outputs  scroll down and look for out put 6, enable it and assign it a port and pin and that should do it. Again i haven't used it yet so i am not the best to answer all these questions i am just guessing. So take everything i say with a grain of salt.  ;D

My diode driver can accept ttl, or analog. If your ps has a true + and - input (balanced) then you should be able to simply tie the minus to gnd and apply ttl to the + input. You may want to check your manual carefully, I would also recommend an opto isolated break out board in case the Chinese ps isn't up to snuff.

Chad

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 11:34:30 PM »
Are you using a breakout board?
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 08:44:45 PM »
Yes, I have the C11 Multifunction CNC Board from www.cnc4pc.com .. This has TTL outputs on it.  I haven't hooked it up yet but it's basically plug and play.