Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 04:45:32 AM

Author Topic: drill sel holes does and drill radius holes not working  (Read 4479 times)

drill sel holes does and drill radius holes not working
« on: December 05, 2010, 08:18:26 PM »
I have tried everything to get lazycam to drill 1/4" holes when the tool is alsol 1/4". im importing a dxf. file to lazy cam and has a number of differet size holes from 1/4 up to 1", the offset tool works fine for anything larger than a 1/4" hole. I know that it works ive had it work before but now nothing, i'm getting good with lazycam just cant get these two very important buttons to work please help

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: drill sel holes does and drill radius holes not working
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 06:53:42 AM »
Are you actually drillling the hole or using an endmill to machine out the hole?
If machining the hole try reducing the tool dia to say .001 less than the hole size.
If drilling the hole, then you use the drill command since LC only cares about location if memory is correct.
The circle representing the hole location can be any size.

Attach you dxf and i will have a look,

BTW, drilling is covered starting on page 41 in the manual.
RICH
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 05:34:43 PM »
sorry guys haven't had much time for the machine lately, anyway first thing first, where is the manual you speak of i would love to have that?
as for the drilling operations have not been successful at all, this time i now have my part that connects the dust collector to the cnc machine,
so i have a 4" hole, a large pocket with a hole in the center, 2 cross dowel holes and approx. 140 1/16" holes around the perimeter that I'm going to put broom bristles
in these holes i could'nt get to drill or to offset, so i went back to cad and redrew them as a very tiny circle and deleted the actual circle, this is very time consuming. so the set up is 1/16" ed mill to do the entire operation, Ive attached the dxf file that I'm trying to drill holes in, i added a couple of 1/8" holes in the center of the part for testing the drilling operation, thanks for the help Rich

Justin

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 07:09:45 PM »
update im using a 1/8" end mill not 1/16"

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 07:45:40 PM »
as for the drilling operations have not been successful at all
The places you wish to be drilled should be drawn as circles and not line segments. I would suggest you create individual layers for different machining operations as that makes it easy.
The drawings should be saved as version 12 DXf. If you don't want to put the drilling on separate layers. Then use the "Sel in Box" command, and then "Drill Rad Circles" were you can define what diameter will be used in the selection.

RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 07:55:30 PM »
Justin,
What program did you use to do the drawing?
RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 08:13:14 PM »
I just quickly added a few 1/8" circles  on a new layer in the drawing. Attached is an LC file and the dxf for you to fool with.
RICH
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 01:55:26 PM »
thanks a million rich, just figuerd it out yesterday, i have been using sketchup pro 7, i have been exporting dxf files in 2d and for whatever reason it doesnt export the layer names
but now when  export the same drawing  in 3-d format the layers then show up in lc. so once i figured this out i relayerd the file and the drill sel holes works, it seems that it only works if the layer the drilling is operations is on is a layer containing only drilling operations. thanks Rich.

Justin

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 04:38:45 PM »
Know nothing about Skecthup Pro 7 so i'll consider you the expert on that one. Glad you got it working.
RICH