Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:09:24 AM

Author Topic: 2D files  (Read 6839 times)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: 2D files
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 06:01:29 PM »
If you want to fool around with a 2d file you can use the one i have posted in the members docs for the  Lazycam Manual.
If you want to engrave then just select the whole thing or parts of it and define a small depth of cut.
I will echo what Gerry said about CAM software as their cost is high and increases with what the software will do
and what it provides or is included. Have a look at Vectric product comparison and compare to other software to get a flavor.
I just started using MeshCam, like it, and as it suites my need, but, i also have other software which complements it.
What is good for one can be totaly wrong for another user.  Time spent on a 2d package will not be wasted as the experience  is directly applicable
to more complex machining.

RICH

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 07:04:16 PM »
Hmmmm...... another thing I didn’t know among the many other ones LOL......

So if .STL files are 3D only, what the 2D files are? maybe .DXF?

Very good point Gerry and I intend to do so but there are many CAM software and I prefer not to spend the time with the demos of each one because I will get confused. I would rather choose a couple or so and then get the demos and decide.
Nicolas

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 07:11:42 PM »
So if .STL files are 3D only, what the 2D files are? maybe .DXF?

Every CAD or drawing program will have their own specific file format.

For CNC purposes, you want a file type that contains vector information.

.dxf is the most commonly used, because most programs can open and export .dxf files. The .dxf format was created for this reason.

Some CAM programs can read many different file types, some can only read .dxf files.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Sage

•  365 365
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 09:14:00 PM »
If you're looking for artwork in dxf and g-code format you can try the "share your g-code" topic on this board.
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/board,61.0.html

Not sure how to make that a link. Guess you can cut and paste it or just go back to the main board menu and look for it.

Someone there also has a link to a website with hundreds of free dxf files of logos and simple artwork objects.

Sage

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 10:04:17 PM »
Well I learned a lot today, thank you all

I missed your post Rich before; I will work on that 2D file, thanks. BTW is this file the “Mill LCR0 HCIR.dxf?”

I had a brief look at the MashCam site and looks interesting and I will investigate further. You are right, each one of us have their own likes & dislikes when it comes to software or anything else for that matter.

Sage that’s a good tip and I will have a look at it, thank you

Nicolas